Explorer cam vs. Stock GT cam?

fordboy1

Feb 16, 2004
Hi all,

I am formulating a 5.0 implant for my '89 F150 4x4, AOD, 3.55 gears and I need a bit of advice on the cam selection. The 5.0 going in is a '97 Explorer donor with the GT40P heads, FMS shorty headers, stock F150 intake and I am converting to mass air as well (A9P).

My questions is this: Would the 89-93 GT cam build better all around power than the Explorer cam? Does anyone know the specs for each?

The truck is destined to be an everyday driver and will be used to commute 90 miles round trip on the freeway a few times a month.

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I guess it all depends on the rpm you plan on taking it to. The explorer cam is a low rpm torquey girl which would be great for tire peeling and street driving. I think you'll like the explorer cam because its suppose to make good torque and stuff, but seeing that a stock 5.0 cam peaks in the mid 4000 rpm range, the explorer cant be much worse. Run the explorer with 1.7's and I think itll do nicely if your not looking for anything rumbly. Hell my friend ran a stock cam with Trickflow topend and then eventually a blower, and it made 360 at the wheels at only 3900 rpms before they shut off the dyno to save the engine, but the power curve was going straight up so lord knows what it would have made at higher rpm.

I'm going to be doing the same swap in my 90 f150 in a month or so and I plan on going with the explorer cam for the extra low-end torque that's needed in the truck. If I didn't use the truck to pull anything or haul stuff and drove a lot on the highway I would probably go with the mustang cam. Either way it should be a huge improvement over the stock 302 truck motor.