Progress Thread Explorer / Gt40 Game

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
So I'm finally around to sharing some of my Explorer intake, GT 40 head build. Ya I know. I'm just playing. It's on the cheap but mostly for fun. I figured someone would like to look at it anyhow. I have lots of progress and pics along the way. I'll post stuff as I can. So it started with an intake I bought on Ebay.
Intake.JPG

I cleaned it up and removed some unused vacuum ports, drilled and tapped the needed bosses for my application.
Intake 1.JPG
Intake 4.JPG
Intake 5.JPG
Intake 6.JPG
Intake 7.JPG

Minor port work on the opening to make it measure 70 mm to make me feel better. It was close anyhow.
Intake 8.JPG

Can you say powder coated?
Intake 9.JPG
Intake 10.JPG
Intake 11.JPG

That's all for today. I'll post more later.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys. After some sleep and a day of working I remembered where the rest of the pics were.
Intake 13.JPG

Found out the previous owner had removed the top plate with a drill. :shrug: So I had to use my handy left handed drill bit on one and my EZ out on the other.
Intake 12.JPG

Another shot of the throttle body opening. Yes I measured it. 68.86 or something. And I made it BIGger. My throttle body is 70 mm. Would it matter? Probably not a bit. But I can sleep better.
Intake 14.JPG

Intake 15.JPG

I chose to remove the pressed in tube at one end underneath and drill/tap it for a plug. I don't need this one.
Intake 16.JPG

You can also see in the background that I cut the long one that comes out the front off with a cut off wheel. I won't need it right now for anything and it is long and ugly. I'll cap that one.

I cant wait to get around to doing a top end kit on my Ranger. I had a lot of fun doing that on my '95, and feeling how differently the car felt afterword. That powder coating turned out great as well, they look new.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks nice! Makes me not want to get rid of my GT40/Exploder intake. P.S. I think you should have sent the lower to TMOSS.
I talked to Tom via email and he told me I didn't need to port it with my combo. I would have liked to have it ported prior to powder coat but he is right. It will flow fine for this combo. I think this combo will be here a while.
Painted heads.JPG

Reactions: 1 users