Explorer Help

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Have a question.

1997 Explorer, 4.0.

When the A/C is set on "Max A/C" it works fine, blows cold. When switched to normal A/C or ANY air setting it blasts SUPER hot air, as if someone set the thermostat to all heat.

Turn the "Max A/C" back on and it works just fine.

Moving the tempature knob does nothing to change this once the heat is pouring out...

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Is the compressor running when the "normal" a/c setting is active? Pop the hood and have someone help you out by toggling the setting between the two (max & norm) for a few minutes each to determine this.

Depending on how you answer from here leads us to a few possibilities. I'm no ASE Tech by any means, but here are some preliminary stabs.

Could be the relay leading from the control unit in the dash.
Could be the relay telling the compressor to cycle off/on.
Could be the WOT sensor (compressor) gone awry.

Another idea: If the Explorer uses the same kind of electric blend door actuator motor as used on Crown Vics and Town Cars and such that have that "Automatic Climate Control" crap, those things have been known to do some wacky things by switching over to full-heat when you want full-cold and vise-versa. Otherwise, if it's vacuum-actuated, perhaps you have a disconnected/damaged vacuum hose underneath the dash there somewhere that's in control of your temperature blend door actuator...? :shrug:

Doing the analogy with a 2000 GT... hot engine coolant is flowing all the time through the heater core... if you get cold air in MAX A/C (I always use MAX A/C) and HOT air on NORM A/C, then the blend door is opening when it is not supposed to do it... on Mustangs there is a vacuum motor for this door... if this were a Mustang, there should be a vacuum line connected to the wrong port on the MAX/NORM A/C knob...

Has anyone worked around the dash lately?

Thanks for giving me some more suggestions.

This has been on the back burner since shortly after I posted this, but I am going to mark this thread so I can reference back to it.

We lost a family member and have been trying to deal with that and me nor my dad have had much time to be around the Explorer that needs the help.