Explorer install update and pics...

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
Well its not on yet, but i do have all the stuff i scammed in the classifeds.....got the intake, a Mac adapter and some TF pushrods at 6.300 so as to try and get the valvetrain squared away to run the Scorpions 1.6s i have....
just gotta figure out how to run the vac lines and its ready to go on..prolly next week....
I been grinding most of the week just cleaning up the ports and cleaning up the casting marks...
Heres the U/L gasketmatched and the ports cleaned of casting marks...

Attachments

• EX u and l.jpg
    EX u and l.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 837
  • Sponsors (?)

End shot...plan is to paint it gloss black then do the fins up in silver...should look pretty good....right now its just going on as is....
there was a tab on it that i ground down to get the fins back in there...

Attachments

• Ex end.jpg
    Ex end.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 674
Mac adapter..all i can say is WOW...this thing must have be casted in East Mongolia or something...it was downright horrendous....this pic doesn't even do it justice...

Attachments

• Mac adapter.jpg
    Mac adapter.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 643
Here it is, cleaned up and ported to fit the TB opening of the Explorer....qiute the mis-match was to be ground....got a good fit now...

Attachments

• Mac adapter install.jpg
    Mac adapter install.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 562
Thanks Jesse...at the moment i just wanna get it running before the snow flies...i would like to re-dyno it with this and the RR on....then i'll put the 24s to it over the Winter and have back at it...kinda curious how much each is worth...i may take you up on the adapter..i though this was a TF pc...my bad, he HAD this on his TF intake...

i tinkering on whether i want to pull the motor and have it on a stand for the Winter...then i might attempt to polish it...i don't believe how much freakin work and time it takes....i need to get some sanding rolls for sure...

looks like your enjoying the porting. :D

i agree with Yellow1995Cobra. considering your already cleaning up the outside, why not polish it. it'll take forever to finish but well worth it. I plan on polishing up a Cobra intake when i do my HCI install.

good work so far.

You've got the garage and the tools so quit grinding and get to turning wrenches and get that thing on. I am very curious to see what it does with what you have. I am also curious as to what kind of a increase in power you are going to see over the stock intake.

Jeremy...looks sweet...why isn't it on yet????

Vib....I hear that... :nice:

I had to atleast clean it up some and port match it...I gotta get all i can outta this puppy...it'll be up and running next week...all thats left is to make some TB gaskets and rip the mother down again....emphasis on "down again"
i'm really leaning towards pulling the heads and having em milled, then the 24s, re cal my MAF, some gears and have at the 1320 again...

Looking good Rio, like everyone else said... get at that thing and get it on the car!!! I'm interested too to see how much it picks up. If I can find one cheap enough I may put a set of GT40P heads and explorer intake on my '90GT... but my plans are way up in the air with that car.

Nice work RIO - how did you get that bracket off and get the groove in there so nice? You know I'm watching close here too.

I just got a line on NMRA prepped gt40P heads with thermactor holes, high lift springs, titanium keepers, scorpion 1.6 rockers, and NMRA prepped MAC shorty headers for the P heads for $1,000. Might be driving 200 miles to pick them up this weekend.

Looks like you've been burning the midnight oil on that intake. Looks real good to!

I picked up a couple of plates that would fit on that intake. The plate on the left should be done this weekend then on to the next. If your interested let my know.

Killer....it'll be soon....been working 7 days a week here the last month or so...plus chit to do around the homestead... :bang:

Tom...I used a cutoff wheel to get the grooves back...then tuned em in...sounds like a road trip to me... :D

Saltwater....paint that one on the right up and let me know what you need for it..its different...i have (2) V8 ones, maybe you could use em???

More pics....

Did a dry-run without removing the lower tonite...just pulled the upper and measured the lower and its the same 4 1/2" in height as the Ex lower so i wanted to see how the top stuff would fit....
I was surprised to see it all lined up no problem...the only issue may be some grinding on the bottom of the EGR bung...its real close to my VCs....i have the tall ones...one good thing is i don't need to run the same 1/2 spacer, as before to clear my VC...
My CAI even lined right up...may have to shorten it a tad....

The STB is toast....i may get funky and get it to work tho...cut here, weld there type of thing...it may be able to be saved...

Anyway...some pics for those of you who posted...

Installed pic....