Explorer Intake install on 94-95 5.0

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
A friend of mine wants to install a 94-95 Cobra Intake on his '94GT. He already has a lower intake that has been TMoss ported, but is struggling to find a Cobra upper in the price range he wants to pay.

I suggested we just go to the pick and pull and snag an Explorer upper.

WHat would it take to make this work on the SN95? I know we will need the SN95 inlet elbow, but how does the EGR on the SN95 work? Do we need to find an upper off an explorer with the internal EGR passage?

One on the right?
explorer_uppers_underside.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

A friend of mine wants to install a 94-95 Cobra Intake on his '94GT. He already has a lower intake that has been TMoss ported, but is struggling to find a Cobra upper in the price range he wants to pay.

I suggested we just go to the pick and pull and snag an Explorer upper.

WHat would it take to make this work on the SN95? I know we will need the SN95 inlet elbow, but how does the EGR on the SN95 work? Do we need to find an upper off an explorer with the internal EGR passage?

One on the right?
explorer_uppers_underside.jpg

Posted via Mobile Deviceinternal or external will work on the 94-95 5.0.
stock our egr is external.the egr valve mounts to the intake elbow.

The upper with no hole is an external EGR intake and does not have provisions for the internal as the hole will be open on the lower if you have the hole (center of intake runners that you have circled).

You will need to block your lower intake EGR hole and use the elbow with the stock 94-95 egr as it is external (we can use either intake). IF you want to move to a fox t-body setup all it means is you will need to remove the EGR because of there is no provisions for the internal to work the fox swap will have to have it deleted as they only used internal EGR systems.

I would go to a yard and see if one will let you swap out the upper for an internal if you need it...just say it is different than your explorer or sell the upper on ebay for what you have in it.

Just to clarify, you can use that intake, as long as you use the external EGR with the adapter elbow. You'll be fine. If you need to block the hole in the lower, but you don't want to mess up that Cobra lower, just use a Felpro 1256 intake gasket. That will block the hole for you.

Kurt

I would go to a yard and see if one will let you swap out the upper for an internal if you need it...just say it is different than your explorer or sell the upper on ebay for what you have in it.

Well we don't have one at all yet. I took that pic off the internet. We need to get one still.

I actually need the lower intake w/ EGR port for my Fox car, so we might go to the boneyard and get a complete Explorer intake with the EGR provision and i'll take the lower and he'll take the upper.

Just trying to see if it's workable. I guess all we really need to do is block off the EGR port on the lower and get the SN95 adapter elbow to keep the stock EGR external.

I'll run this buy him and see what he wants to do. He might be hell bent on getting an SN95 cobra upper...for looks if anything.

Your looking for a pre97 explorer upper then if your lower has the hole.

I am not sure just the gasket will seal the hole since there is no material that would be over the hole in the lower (if your intake is just like the one on the left). Now if the lower is like the intake on the right but just does not have the hole your fine but no material on top of the hole makes me think it will not seal the hole.

Have the same setup with a 3/8" spacer as well, worked out great. Used a Differential Plug to cap the EGR provision off; I did tap it first then threaded it in flush with the intake. Worked nicely