Explorer intake, tfs stage 1, stock short block

Calico Cobra

May 6, 2005
hi,

Is it worth it to install an explorer intake, tfs stage 1, crane 1.7 rockers with spring kit, on stock heads? Other mods, crane hi-6, bbk 65mm, morso cai, sn95maf, mac prochamber/ headers/catback, 3.73 gears? Future mods vortech s-trim, 30lb injectors, pmas 75mm MAF. Thanks. Just looking for fun weekend cruiser, not a race car.

• Sponsors (?)

hi,

Is it worth it to install an explorer intake, tfs stage 1, crane 1.7 rockers with spring kit, on stock heads? Other mods, crane hi-6, bbk 65mm, morso cai, sn95maf, mac prochamber/ headers/catback, 3.73 gears? Future mods vortech s-trim, 30lb injectors, pmas 75mm MAF. Thanks. Just looking for fun weekend cruiser, not a race car.

If you're going to have it tore down far enough to install that cam if youre on a budget throw a set of GT40 or GT40P heads on there while youre right there and have the lifters and pushrods out anyway. I got my GT40P heads from a guy who got them from a junkyard and I paid 150.00...especially if you plan on boosting later

might wanna clay the pistons if youre gonna use a tfs1 with 1.7's though just to be on the safe side

yea i agree if your gonna have it tore down to install a cam,might as well go to the junkyard and snag the gt40p heads or gt40 heads,remember gt40p's have the 4 lines on head and you have to use certain headers with the p heads

I wouldn't (and in fact, didn't) put the intake and cam in with stock heads. Totally stock P heads are a huge improvement over E7s and can be bought for relatively cheap. Thow in a couple of hundred for a set of P specific headers and you're good to go.

When I bought my car It had a 306 with a Trick Flow stage 1 cam some home ported e7s and stock intake. Drove it around had a little pep to it. Well, like most anything I do, I felt the need for more. Went out bought some Gt40P heads, Explorer intake and a set of 1.7 RR. After the install Felt like I had a new car. I was pleased.

The cam isn't worth the trouble at this time without the heads.

The intake and RR's since the labor is pretty isn't all that bad idea.

I second that. Don't expect a lot of improvement at all with an aftermarket cam on stock heads (aside from a cool sounding idle). The stock cam is actually pretty stout. If you are planning on going in there, it wouldn't hurt to put the cam in, but like everyone is saying, do the heads at the same time.

Although you won't see its full potential until you have aftermarket heads, the Explorer intake is a good unit. You'll be happy you did it. I like mine.