Explorer Intake?

• Sponsors (?)

You need both the upper and lower, as they have a different design. The lower is a Cobra/GT40 lower, and the top, while slightly different, is more or less a GT40 intake. Look at the link in my sig, I have pics of them.

You need both the upper and lower, as they have a different design than the stock intake. The explorer has staggered, larger runners, and the stocker has inline runners. The lower is a Cobra/GT40 lower, and the top, while slightly different, is more or less a GT40 intake. Look at the link in my sig, I have pics of them.

I got mine off a 96 Explorer with the 19# injectors and 65 MM throttle body for $250. The Explorer manifold isn't drilled for the ACT sensor. You will have to extend the ACT harness to relocate the ACT sensor to the air filter box. Use the TPS and IAB from your old throttle body. All the EGR passages were there and fit OK. Use you old fuel rails and regulator. You will probably need a new EGR spacer adapter and gaskets. Without the EGR spacer, there is no place to mount the throttle linkage support bracket. The stock Explorer linkage didn't come anywhere near fitting, so I made an adapter plate for the throttle linkage so I could use the 65 MM throttle body.

No, my intake is now painted and awaiting install in my stang, along with some GT40P heads and an E303 camshaft. Jrichker- I can use my stock EGR spacer and TB right? Eventually I am going to upgrade, but funds are tight right now. Also, I am going to probably put my ACT sensor somewhere on my CAI, just going to cut a small hole, weld a hex nut with the same thread size as the sensor into said hole, and mount it there.

astronut1885 said:
No, my intake is now painted and awaiting install in my stang, along with some GT40P heads and an E303 camshaft. Jrichker- I can use my stock EGR spacer and TB right? Eventually I am going to upgrade, but funds are tight right now. Also, I am going to probably put my ACT sensor somewhere on my CAI, just going to cut a small hole, weld a hex nut with the same thread size as the sensor into said hole, and mount it there.

Sure, the stock EGR spacer & TB will work.

I did some extra work to make the Explorer 65MM throttle body work with my stock linkage. The 65MM TB was part of the package deal I got, so I wasn't about to let it go to waste.

Yeah, the TB on my explorer intake was seized and warped, or I would have used it. Hopefully in April I'll be getting a nice new one, probably a FRPP 65mm unit.
Anyhoo, if you do get an explorer intake from a motor, look into the heads on that same motor, as they may be GT40s or GT40Ps, and those will work awesome with the intake, as the heads are a bigger bottleneck for power than the intake. I went from doing just the Explorer intake to a full on H/C/I with other upgrades. It's gonna be worth it in the end, even though right now I can't believe I am even spending all this money. Good luck with the intake.