explorer swap question

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
I am sure this has been covered, but I have acquired another 4 banger mustang and I have an exploder motor available. do I have to swap fox accessories onto the explorer motor, or can I leave them the way they are?

• Sponsors (?)

i know you need to put a distributer in there as the explorer uses those coil packs (i think thats what they're called).

almost positive you've gotta change all the accessories, but i'm not sure.

I just ripped the heads and intake off one at a JY because i didnt have any place to store a complete motor at the time. I figured it was less work to do a head swap on my 5.0 than a cam+motor swap.

You're probably gonna wanna find a cam to go in there too because (from what i hear) the exploder cam is balls. I'm sure you know that much though? :shrug:

I know the cam, valve springs, oil pan, pickup tube, timing cover, and DIS need to be changed, but I am curious about the PS pump, A/C, and Alternator. can I just leave them in the stock explorer locations instead of swapping fox parts on?

I am taking my time on the build so I havnt really made much progress on it. I kind of tinker on it here and there, but I am really wanting to have the suspension and exhaust available before I throw the v8 in. I kinda want to do everything in one fell swoop. I have a new timing cover, rebuilt and ported gt40's with 1.7rr's, ported lower gt40 intake, and a set of 24lb injectors that I got dirt cheap. The block is out getting cleaned and tested.I just picked up a t5 tranny and bellhousing yesterday so I have everything I need for the tranny swap. I am kind of contemplating doing the t5 swap early, but I am afraid that the gears in the 5.0 tranny arent steep enough to really get the 4 banger moving. The car is pretty much my daily ride and I dont want to sacrifice driveability. look for an assload of pics around x-mas time. I hope to really tear into it then.

I'll be picking up a complete explorer engine in the not-so-distant future and i'm gonna try to keep track of everything that i need to change and swap, with the only difference being that mine will be a carbed setup. I'll help out when the time comes.

what's a good cam for these motors. I want something more than a stock HO cam. This is the only part that I am unsure about buying.

I just got done building an exploder motor this is what i did, you need to change:

- The cam of course (I have a TFS stage 1 too)
- get mustang oil pan and dipstick
- mustang timing cover / waterpump
- remove the explorer oil cooler and put on regular oil filter bung
- distributor
- get a good timing chain
- get good valvesprings
- stang harmonic balancer
- valvecovers

INTAKE MANIFOLD
- If you want a egr cooler then you have to drill and tap a hole for the coolant line in the intake
- drill a hole for the act sensor, or move it to the airbox or cai (like i did)
- I you want, modify the explorer 65mm tb to work for the mustang

use the fox accessories. if you care, the explorer heads dont have the holes in the back for emissions.

I think thats all of it, from what i can remember of the top of my head.