explorer swap v. Trickflow top end

95silvergt5.0

Nov 29, 2004
Decisions, decisions.

Explorer motor:
Now from what I understand the explorer already has good flowing heads/intake, so basically all i would need to do is swap the cam since im guessing its more geared towards towing. I could do this swap for 1000ish , as I will be doing the work myself. This would leave money for bolt-ons. Do I need different headers with this motor? Are the heads aluminum or iron?

Trickflow:
The top end of my tired 155,000 mile would be all fresh, but I'm thinking the kit along with lifters, injectors, etc. would cost me 3000ish.

Im leaning towards the explorer swap, because I will be painting a fender and the front bumper this winter, and replacing the fuel pump. So I will have other projects to worry about. Plus it would be more cost effective, and I'm not so sure I want to put money into my high miles motor. Give me your thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

im planning on doing an explorer head/intake swap this spring, along with a e-cam, 24lb'ers, and a bigger tb. im getting the intake and heads (iron gt40p's) sometime this week or next. for the price i think the exploder parts are a helluva bang for the buck, and ive heard great things from those who have done the swap. the aftermarket parts are just so damn expensive!

I have heard good things about the explorer swap, the heads are iron and some headers work others don't. Cant really remeber why but i'm sure if you do a search you will find it.

I plan on getting an explorer motor myself. I want to put the top end on the 95 and use the block to start building my EFI convertion on my 68 coupe. (as i already have a killer top end for it)

The most cost effective way of making horse power so you have more money for other goodies.:nice:

Dagz

i just bought an explorer engine off a wrecked 2001 w/ 70k miles on it for $700 flat.

all in all, it's a great investment, i think, especially since i'm keeping my car for a good while (forever, hopefully), and i feel a lot more comfortable driving the piss out of something w/ half as many miles on it.

i was wondering about this too

how much easier would to get an explorer motor to 300-350 rwhp than it would be to ge my stock block(that has 153k miles on it)

could that power be had if a got a good cam and a good port job on the heads and intake(or even putting and aftermarket intake if that is wat would be holding me back)

i was just thinking bout doing this to last me untill i get out of college...then i would like to build either a stroker motor.(which is way down the road)

sorry if i highjacked i just had some questions about this topic .

95silvergt5.0 said:
Decisions, decisions.

Explorer motor:
Now from what I understand the explorer already has good flowing heads/intake, so basically all i would need to do is swap the cam since im guessing its more geared towards towing. I could do this swap for 1000ish , as I will be doing the work myself. This would leave money for bolt-ons. Do I need different headers with this motor? Are the heads aluminum or iron?

Trickflow:
The top end of my tired 155,000 mile would be all fresh, but I'm thinking the kit along with lifters, injectors, etc. would cost me 3000ish.

Im leaning towards the explorer swap, because I will be painting a fender and the front bumper this winter, and replacing the fuel pump. So I will have other projects to worry about. Plus it would be more cost effective, and I'm not so sure I want to put money into my high miles motor. Give me your thoughts.

**** ive found explorer motors for $600 i was considering it... i say for a little over that $3000 you can have a boosted explorer motor... LOL this is always an option... put in the motor... save up a little more for an SC or turbo kit... then your reliable... and probally faster... with less $$$$ spent....

explorer motor is basically the same shortblock as our cars. its just got a different cam. its got the improved intake and heads that give it the bump in power.

out of the box the trickflow stuff is capeable of hitting 300rwhp with supporting mods (exh, injectors, tune)

the explorer with a good cam would be around 260

yeah, my car made ~270hp/310tq with and explorer motor and a crane 2031 cam. BUT i know for a fact if i had my typhoon intake then i would have been pretty close to 300.....the explorer lower sucks. physically, the gt40p heads intake ports are about a 1/4" larger all around than the explorer lower. However, its a great setup because its very torquey and fun to drive on the street

GreenMustangGt said:
yeah, my car made ~270hp/310tq with and explorer motor and a crane 2031 cam. BUT i know for a fact if i had my typhoon intake then i would have been pretty close to 300.....the explorer lower sucks. physically, the gt40p heads intake ports are about a 1/4" larger all around than the explorer lower. However, its a great setup because its very torquey and fun to drive on the street

I seriously doubt you would gain 5hp…let alone 30 by switching to the typhoon. It's commonly known that the explorer intake flows the same as the cobra…which is slightly outmatched by the gt40 and performer.

I myself have the TFS top end kit. The difference you will feel between stock and some nice aluminum heads is beyond night and day differences, its not just the hp difference you feel but you no longer hit that wall at 4800rpms, which is nice.

I have a stock bottom end as well, and I do not regret doing it, if the bottom end fails, big deal, new bottom end and swap all the parts over. The TFS kit is very complete and very good quality, the only thing I didnt like about it were the valve covers, you have to drill a hole for the oil fill, and it usually leaks a little bit of oil, nothing major, just annoying.

Overall I love my TFS kit, your getting an awesome set of heads with the kit, a very good cam and matched intake, you really cant go wrong.

BTW, Im running all of this on a stock TB, stock ignition, stock injectors, stock MAF. Works fine and I had no problem walking away from my buddies mach1, and my other friends vortech 95 cobra (6psi). I used to race the mach1 a lot before the swap, and even with an 80 shot of the juice, he would just walk right away from me.

Yes I agree more power is to be had with a bigger TB, and MAF, but it is far from required. I definitally recommend it. All in all, after a new water pump and lifters I spent about 2,600. Best 2,600 Ive spent on my car.

Heres some pics for ya.

PICT0290.jpg

Before

DSCF1301-1.jpg

After

PICT0306.jpg

PICT0315.jpg

PICT0319.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0290.jpg
    PICT0290.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1301-1.jpg
    DSCF1301-1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PICT0306.jpg
    PICT0306.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 94
  • PICT0315.jpg
    PICT0315.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0319.jpg
    PICT0319.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 87
Aliate X said:
BTW, Im running all of this on a stock TB, stock ignition, stock injectors, stock MAF. Works fine and I had no problem walking away from my buddies mach1, and my other friends vortech 95 cobra (6psi). I used to race the mach1 a lot before the swap, and even with an 80 shot of the juice, he would just walk right away from me.

Yes I agree more power is to be had with a bigger TB, and MAF, but it is far from required. I definitally recommend it. All in all, after a new water pump and lifters I spent about 2,600. Best 2,600 Ive spent on my car.

That is eye opening :eek:
considering you are a Fox Guy and got IIRC :shrug:
a smaller maf which is ........ 55 or 58mm? :shrug:

If my memory is correct ... you gotta be pushing it rather close for airflow limits ... you would think.

Is your TB the same as our 60mm 94-95 tb's? :shrug:

The stock ignition I can see working just fine :nice:

About those 19# inj's

I would have to think you are on borrowed time
unless
You have upped the pressure a pretty good bit

Are you still running the stock fuel pump :eek:

Grady

final5-0 said:
That is eye opening :eek:
considering you are a Fox Guy and got IIRC :shrug:
a smaller maf which is ........ 55 or 58mm? :shrug:

If my memory is correct ... you gotta be pushing it rather close for airflow limits ... you would think.

Is your TB the same as our 60mm 94-95 tb's? :shrug:

The stock ignition I can see working just fine :nice:

About those 19# inj's

I would have to think you are on borrowed time
unless
You have upped the pressure a pretty good bit

Are you still running the stock fuel pump :eek:

Grady

The stock TB's are 58mm and supposedly will hold up to 280 or 290rwhp. I have a 255lph pump with an AFPR and I am running RICH on 19lb injectors...lol. MAF is 55mm, I believe that is restricting me more than the TB is.

Heres a compilation vid for ya guys.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/42537071-8e16-427a-a5b6-98570188ef1e.htm

Borla exhaust, makes for a nice sleeper with the 125 shot heh. No spray used in the video!