Engine Extra coolant temp sensor

Macktenn

Mar 21, 2020
Alberta
I’m installing a holley sniper efi on my 83 Ford Mustang; it needs me to use a coolant temp sensor for it. I’d like to keep my oem sensor alive so I don’t have a dead gauge on my dash, is there another spot that I can mount the sensor? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a '90 GT. There are 2 coolant sensors. The first is in the coolant tube that takes coolant from the front of the intake and brings it along the passenger side valve cover to the rear for a coolant feed to the HVAC under the dash. It has a second tube attached that returns the coolant to a short hose into the water pump. In that tube is a coolant sensor. This is the OEM sensor for the ECU.

There is a second sensor that mounts near the driver front of the intake. It has a single wire and is used for the gauge.

If your Holley Sniper EFI has a favourite brand of coolant sensor and you only have one installed, get the sensor and install a second one. That would be my recommendation.

I've seen a few guys use those hose adapters with good luck. The ones where you cut the hose and install a section with a sensor bung.

On an 1983 Mustang, there are two temp sensors like the EFI cars. One is the ECU sensor, and the other is a temp sender for the guage. For your holly EFI, just pull the OEM sensor and install the holly sensor in that port assuming it's also 3/8" NPT.

Leave the temp sender alone and your guage will work. (assuming you aren't gutting the OEM wiring)

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user