"Extra" plug issue on a 2.3 to 5.0 Swap

I'm swapping a 93 2.3 using a 93 5.0 engine harness and 5.0 computer and my original 2.3 dash harness. I'm not at the point of fuel pump harness issue I've read about in other threads...but I already noticed an "extra plug" in my 5.0 engine harness. It's a brown plug w/ 5 or 6 wires, in the 5.0 car it plugs in somewhere above the computer. My 2.3 kick panel area does not have a place for this plug to go...

I seen this is a related thread on the fuel pump issue: "There is a mystery connector somewhere under the driver’s side kick panel, between the fuel pump relay and the fuse link. "

thread link: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=557489

I bet this is the plug that has no home in my 2.3...What do I do with this plug??? I assume it needs to be re-wired somwhere??

Here's a few pics of the plug on the 5.0 harness:
4-18-06%20001.jpg

4-18-06%20004.jpg

4-18-06%20003.jpg

Attachments

• 4-18-06%20001.jpg
    4-18-06%20001.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 4-18-06%20004.jpg
    4-18-06%20004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 4-18-06%20003.jpg
    4-18-06%20003.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

ok, I'm not a "dude" in a chick (Nicole) thx

...AND THANKS! now that you mention it...it is broken! lol, I must have broke it when I yanked it through teh firewall of the 5.0 donor car!

ok...that said...where is the eec power relay in the 2.3 where it needs to plug into then?? ummm is it up there somewhere and I missed it? by eec, you mean ecu? same as the computer? sorry, not sure what eec stands for..

I know the 2.3 harness did not have this plug...

lol sorry about that, i was just like, duuuude, ya know? lol
anyway, eec = electronic engine control, ford's term for ecu
both harnesses should have this plug/relay
since this one is brown its the eec power relay
if you find a green one then that is for the fuel pump

Mystery plug

Hi

you either need to replace the relay plug with one that doesnt have the back broken off it or wrap the relay in electrical tape and tuck it in where it will be safe, it doesnt need to be plugged into your dash harness at all

Ron

...AND THANKS! now that you mention it...it is broken! lol, I must have broke it when I yanked it through teh firewall of the 5.0 donor car!

ok...that said...where is the eec power relay in the 2.3 where it needs to plug into then?? ummm is it up there somewhere and I missed it? by eec, you mean ecu? same as the computer? sorry, not sure what eec stands for..

I know the 2.3 harness did not have this plug...[/QUOTE]

if it's the power relay for the computer...wouldn't it need to be plugged in?

It would be easy enough to tape this off, but it just doesn't seem right...it must do something! Maybe the 2.3 computer didn't have an ecu power relay? ummm, so what's that going to mean when I use this harness and computer? does that imply I need to wire a relay? or loop some wires together? I could always try to tape it off and see if it works later...but then if it doesn't it'll be hard to access it once installed.

EEC relay

Hi

ok sorry maybe I wasnt clear in my response, the relay is part of the V8's engine harness, what happens is that it connects/disconnect pins in the harness when power is applied, just like the fuel pump relay under the drivers seat. if you look at the thing in your pic, you should see tabs and if you were to pry up the tabs and pull on the broken thing it would come out of the harness, this "broken thing" is the relay itself and it connect the pins on the harness where it was plugged in, as long as the relay is plugged into that spot everything will be fine, the 2.3L EEC IV harness should have one too, and it might even be the same relay, as Ive found when Ive done these swaps all the relays are the same, so basically this is what you would call a end of line device because theres wiring that is terminated (or ends) at the relay. Sorry I dont know if I explained it any better this time, LOL its easier for me to do than explain :)

let me know if you have any more questions, Ive done this swap many times

Ron

ok, I see.
I'll need to take a look into getting a new relay then, I don't think the 2.3 harness has one, definately not in that location...and not brown; but I'll see if I can find it anyway; maybe somewhere else on the harness