Factory/Aftermarket Stereo problems

Talamahr

Jul 9, 2004
I recently bought a 95 GT with the Mach 460 sound in it. However the dealer put in an aftermarket stereo (a really crappy one). There is a lot of background noise when the motor is running. I ran a new ground (several different spots to be sure) and it reduced it, but didn't elliminate it. Also, I only get sound from the front tweeters, and It doesn't sound like all the rear speakers are working.

When I first looked at the car it had the OEM stereo in it, so I went back and asked for it to test things. They replaced it because the volume buttons didnt work. When I hooked it up, I had sound, but still only tweeters in the front, and I'm not sure about the back. After a few minutes though, I lost all sound. If I turned the volume up all the way, I could hear the music, just barely. As a side note, when the OEM was hooked up, there was no engine noise.

I hooked up the aftermarket again, and still had sound, so I thought the OEM had given up. It was in bad shape. I ordered another off Ebay, when I hooked it up, I have the exact same problem.

Soooo, my question is, is the front amp toast? Could that be why all the speakers don't work, and why there is a lot of engine noise with the aftermarket?

I know everyone recomends replacing the amps when changing to an aftermaket headunit, but I can't afford all that yet. I don't want to buy another OEM amp, only to find out that isn't the problem either.

:bang:

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)