Failed Emission, cat converter replacement

97GTSTANG

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Virginia
i have a 97 with a 5 years old bassani x pipe with cats and an SLP Loudmouth II. i failed emissions and the tech said i need new cats. insteas of paying $350 for a new x pipe, where can i buy a pair of cats so he can just cut the bassani cats off and clamp the new ones on? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First, post up the results and exactly which part of the test you failed. While high flow cats often don't clean the air as well as OEM, you should still be able to pass. There may be another unlying issue or some tricks you can do to make the car pass without spending all that money on new cats.

:stupid:I'm w/bhuff30, try the cheaper fixes first though, like seafoam, higher octane gas, fuel sytem cleaner, a catch can. Some folks on here tend to think that fuel system cleaner is a waste of money:shrug:, you can be a testimate to that and save the rest of us some loot. Hows your PCV system, might be a great time to start cleaning all that blow-by out of your air-intake system:nice:!?:hail2:Stangnet:hail2:

its the sniffer. it passed CO2 and HC but failed NOX. The car is with the tech, he has tried different things to pass the car, but its failing slightly. He said its definately new cats. Whats the size of the bassani x pipe so he can cut the old cats off and bolt on new pair?