failed emissions and running way to hot! HELP!

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
i went through emissions today and i failed the hydrocarbons (standard is 2.00 and i got 2.48) and i almost failed the NOX (standard is 3.7 and i got 3.3 "the guy said it was creeping up really fast") I then took my car to my friends muffler shop and they took my exhaust temp and with the stock, four cat pipe I was over 550 degrees in front of the front cat and behind too! It maxed out his digital temp gauge i was running so hot! Ok now my question is, could it be that my cats are shot? I just swappws my stock pipe in within the last week and it rattled and you could hear things moving around in the cats. Im running 14 degrees advanced timing, 30 pounds vacuum on with 24 pound injectors and a stock cam. My entire combo is emissions legal too? Could it be my cats?

thanks for any help,

Drew

p.s. my engine isnt overheating either, it stays about 180 ish

• Sponsors (?)

i would back down your igniton to 10deg if you car is runing hott is it over heating? or just the exhaust? if it is just the exhaust the cats could be stopped up and shot. Causeing the flow and break down of the exhaust gases to be seriously reduced.

haha I've never seen that stuff before. I think you should set the timing back to stock, 10* BTDC, and turn the fuel pressure down a bit. Your cats could be shot, if there's rattling then catalyst inside might be broken. good luck

hey, whats the base timing rpm suppose to be at? I disconnected the spout and hooked the light up to number 1 and at idle the timing was over 20 degrees advance! maybe that is why it was running so hot? are you suppose to do base timing at idle?

thanks,

Drew

yes take it at idle use white chaulk so the timing light can pick it up then go from there. 20!)!***!*(*!()&!*(&*^DEG YOUR GONNA FRY A HOLE IN THE TOP OF YOUR PISTON'S!!!!!!!!!!!! dont drive it anymore till you have it checked out and dropped back down to 10deg. if you have been running it at 20 deg to long it might be to late.

what i think happened was since i was running such a high advance i had to adjust my fuel to compensate(which was overloading), that may explain the 11.2 average mpg they tested me at haha. The car never choked in the top end and never pinged either and im pretty goddamn sure i saw about 20 degrees at idle with the spout disconnected. And with the super advanced timing i was only running 89 octane and doin just fine, but thats also cause im only running 9:1. Dont worry guys the engine is running strong as ever, no smoking leaking or anything.

As others said, try setting the timing at 10 degrees btdc with spout out, put in 87 octane gas, it should have a 192F t'stat, and throw a can of the emissions passing additives in the gas tank. Go back again - as close as you were, I'd bet you'll pass with those changes. When you reset the timing after the test, it should't be any higher than 14-16 with the spout out.

Yeah, the marks on your balancer are off or something, because running 20 degrees btdc would make that thing run like total ****. If you hear stuff rattling around in your cats while driving, they are shot or on their way. By brothers crown vic had that rattling right before it started throwing codes that denoted plugged cats.