Failed Inspection WTF?

aub02GTconv

May 30, 2003
South Jersey
fixed my vaccum leak, CEL gone, runs great now.....took it for inspection
My Emmisions passed, everything else passed... but failed me for visible smoke??????????? WTF... what do I do now? where do I start...
He can't even distinguish the color of the smoke....wtf

• Sponsors (?)

How many miles did you drive after the repair? Was there coolant in the combustion chamber? I could see a case where coolant contamination in the exhaust would cause smoke. It would take a few miles to burn it off.

IDK??? Sucks, I know....Was it 1st thing in the morning? I know mine smokes a little 1st thing in the morning from the cooler temps and condensation. Hope it won't be to difficult for ya. I'm soooo glad I don't live in Jersey anymore.

aub02GTconv:

Do you have the option of a sniffer so they can measure hydrocarbons coming out the pipes? That's the correct way (imho) to determine whether the "smoke" is a problem.

Politicians wonder why people flee from their State but they can't see that is the legislation that they have pushed through that is the root cause of the exodus. Sad. [/rant]

***edit: I did a quick search of the NJ emissions testing site and could only find an opacity limit for diesel engines, nothing for gasoline engined vehicles. I would go back and have a polite chat with the inspector and ask what criteria is used to define "excessive smoke".
***end of edit <<<

HTH,

Chris