failsafe mode engaged? WTF!!!

stangdistortion

Aug 7, 2008
ive been having a very odd problem with my gt lately, the other day i was driving to work and a warning came across my hud that said failsafe mode ok, the car wouldn't let me rev higher than 2900rpm and would barely crawl to 50mph, so i pulled over and restarted the engine and everything worked fine, i might add that it was around 20degrees outside, this morning i was driving to school in a snow storm and the same thing happend only this time when i restarted the car a check engine light came on, the engine kept stalling out and lossing power but the idle never dropped and it never fully shut down, it almost seems like it wasnt getting fuel for a breif moment, but then it would run fine again. i drove home with the check engine light on and the car ran fine and only lost power once. i had noticed that the past couple of months the car seemed sluggish and slightly less responsive than before. but i assumed it was the spark plugs since ive heard these are high reving engines and usually need new plugs around 30k miles, its an 05 gt with 32k miles. has anyone else had this problem, or do you know what failsafe mode is. my dad had a saturn with the same problems years ago and it was the ignition wires so i was wondering what the culprit was i know fuel pumps tend to go out on mustangs but im not sure what to make of this any suggestions would be great before i take it in

• Sponsors (?)

that happened to me once, and it was because the aftermarket air filter had started to fall off. Basically, the engine was getting air in from places other than what was passing by the MAF. You might check your intake hoses if you have not already.

I also had a friend with a F150, with the 4.6L, (different heads), he said I'll need to replace the plug coils at 30k. I have not had to, (currently at 60k) but might be something to look into.

I dont know, just throwing ideas out there.

thanks for the insight, i checked the intake and couldnt find anyleaks, but i think it could be the spark plugs. i was talking to a buddy of mine (a fellow mustang owner) who said that it happend to his new edge and it turned out to be the cataylic converter, he said the spark plugs were not gapped properly and it caused the car to run rich which messed up the cat. i was wondering if that might be the cause. although i never changed the plugs and im fairly positive that they are stock but i noticed about 2 months ago i raced my friends evo and beat him by 2 cars then we raced again three weeks laters and i lost by 2 cars both times we ran 3 or 4 times and the out come was consistent. im off all weekend and im going to check the plugs and clean the maf, also im going to check the o2 sensors in the cats. if i cant figure it out its going to the dealer. i have a full warranty so it should be covered. thanks again for the help and any further advice is always appericated. i'll post again on monday

oh and i forgot to mention that the car has been idleing at 2Krpm on cold start and then it drops, even in the freezing cold the highest ive ever seen the car idle was 1200, and the engine sounds funny and has been very sluggish at responding again any advice is always apperciated and thanks again

oh and i forgot to mention that the car has been idleing at 2Krpm on cold start and then it drops, even in the freezing cold the highest ive ever seen the car idle was 1200, and the engine sounds funny and has been very sluggish at responding again any advice is always apperciated and thanks again

You have a vacuum leak somewhere, wouldn't be surprised if something cracked from the cold.

Ok my 05 GT is doing the same thing right now, and it just started 2 days ago. Mine started happening after I left a touch free car wash and it was about 38 degrees outside. I chose the option that had the under car sprayer and went over it slow because I was trying to get the sand/salt stuff off from going over bridges when it froze.
Now my car is ver sluggish, the filsafe mode light is on, the engine light was on also, it will not eccelerate at full throttle it just cuts out and coasts... and it has no power. Basicly the same thing yours was doing.
Did it get fixed? What happened?

so new developments in the failsafe mode problem, sorry i posted so late but the car stopped showing symptoms until today, same as before so i had it scanned which came back error codes P061B=internal control module torque calculation error, the ecm has detected an internal calculation error. P2106 throttle control system-forced imited power. so im trying to reset the ecm by disconnecting the battery. if this doesnt fix the problem i was wondering if i were to buy a progammer and i tune would i be able to change the ecm's calculations and fix the problem. if anyone else has encountered these codes and could provide insight that would be great, also if theres a ford tech out there what does the dealer do to fix it any advice or insight is appericated thanks in advance, i'll try to post back quicker this time between school and work i have little free time

yea thats what im thinking, i guess i'll have to bite the bullet. disconnecting the battery didnt help anything. i was just thinking that most of the causes of the problem involve the intake and since i had planned to add some bolt ons and a tune, i was kinda hoping that would elimate the problem and add some power, kill to birds with one stone but im gonna call the dealer in the morning. thanks again for all of the help i apperciate it.

it sounds like there is an electrical connection getting moisture built up in it and making it send a false or bad signal. basically short out. i use alot of dialectic grease for stuff like that.

agreed i just need to find where it only seems to happen when its very cold or sometimes wet, i still havent taken it in but its been running all day, i even ran it hard earlier this morning and no problems. im going to give it one more look over and check it all out. thanks again to everyone who helped out

I had the same problem with 05 GT right after i put my new TB on after i got my car back to my house i noticed my MAF sensor was not connected. Check the connection on the MAF sensor to make sure it isnt damaged or came loose some how.