Fair price to install full length SFCs?

Mintsick

10 Year Member
Jan 6, 2007
West Lafayette, IN
I got a quote from a local hot rod shop of $300 to install the set of MM full length SFCs I got, does this seem reasonable? I have no reference to go by but to me it seems a little steep for supplying the parts and having them weld them in.

• Sponsors (?)

No, I'm not stating that 100.00 hr is a fair price, I agree w/ you. I was just pointing out that @ the 300.00 quoted price, it means they are getting around 100/hr to do the work.

I was responding to the OP that $300 was high and that $100 was the going rate in my area for installing SFC's. I knwo if 3 shops around me that do it for pretty much in that ball park.

i'd say 150 is fair if it is done correctly. 300 is rediculous. I had thru the floor subframes done with a bar to connect the cage for 450.

I was responding to the OP that $300 was high and that $100 was the going rate in my area for installing SFC's. I knwo if 3 shops around me that do it for pretty much in that ball park.

Sorry, I looked at my reply and it looked I was endorsing the 300.00 price.
The 100.00-150.00 price sounds right to me too. (probably should've just said it that straight)

This is what I thought, 100-150 seemed more appropriate. I'm on the NH/Mass border, can you recommend a few shops where I could get this done?

I'm way down by CT/RI border, heck if you wanted to travel towards me at that point I would just send you to DEZ or MPE at least they are more in the 495 area. PM Mike (mustang5L5) he is in teh Boston area and knows alot of people in and around the north shore area, he might be able to point you somewhere closer

This is what I thought, 100-150 seemed more appropriate. I'm on the NH/Mass border, can you recommend a few shops where I could get this done?

Do you have the subframes already? I would reccomend just getting a thru the floor subframe connector, go see John at tube chassis designs, he did mine for $450 a couple years ago, and i wish i would have just done that from the start. They are much better than the MM ones and there is zero clerance issues with them because they tuck right to the floor

Do you have the subframes already? I would reccomend just getting a thru the floor subframe connector, go see John at tube chassis designs, he did mine for $450 a couple years ago, and i wish i would have just done that from the start. They are much better than the MM ones and there is zero clerance issues with them because they tuck right to the floor

I got the full length powdercoated set off here for a good price ya, it seems like a lot of people say just go all out with the through the floor setup. My question is this, the car will probably not even see the track (strip or road course) that much if at all so are the through the floor setups still worth the money for a driver?

I got the full length powdercoated set off here for a good price ya, it seems like a lot of people say just go all out with the through the floor setup. My question is this, the car will probably not even see the track (strip or road course) that much if at all so are the through the floor setups still worth the money for a driver?

The thru the floor set-ups are BETTER for a driver, they sit flush with the floor and stiffen the subframe more than the full length ones could. There is no reason not to get them. I'd say sell the MM ones and do it right the first time.

Thanks for the information, I am strongly leaning towards just getting the through the floor setup done now. My only other concern is do the through the floors effect seat mounting front or rear? I'm not too concerned with the rear I guess, looks like the carpet will potentially have to be modified?

Thanks for the information, I am strongly leaning towards just getting the through the floor setup done now. My only other concern is do the through the floors effect seat mounting front or rear? I'm not too concerned with the rear I guess, looks like the carpet will potentially have to be modified?

no, seats stay the same, they stick ip an inch or two, but my carpet went right over it with no problems. You cant even tell they are there when the carpet is over it unless you feel around the floor.

There are pictures in my progress thread of mine i think

does this mean eventual tearing of the carpet due to a piece of metal sticking up through the floor? where exactly does it stick up? under the seat? hopefully not under the floormats.

does this mean eventual tearing of the carpet due to a piece of metal sticking up through the floor? where exactly does it stick up? under the seat? hopefully not under the floormats.

No, carpet will never tear, it sticks up between the front two mounting bolts on the seats and the torqe box

EVERYBODY told me that I'd only spend $50-$100 getting my SFCs welded in, but after talking to 4 or 5 different shops, only ONE was willing to even do it, and they charged me $200.

FWIW, it is not uncommon for hourly shop rates around here to be $100+. It all comes down to where you live and how far you're willing to drive to get the work done.