Fake blow off valve?

2013 Geee T

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Oak Park, CA
I was driving next to a Neon, excuse me SRT4 today and it was making BOV sounds. Doesn't it only make the sounds when you shift? It was making them as it was driving in gear. Plus it was more of a longer slower psssssss sound instead of a quick psst like I'm used to hearing. I'm wondering if it was one of those fake BOV sound effect things.

• Sponsors (?)

I was driving next to a Neon, excuse me SRT4 today and it was making BOV sounds. Doesn't it only make the sounds when you shift? It was making them as it was driving in gear. Plus it was more of a longer slower psssssss sound instead of a quick psst like I'm used to hearing. I'm wondering if it was one of those fake BOV sound effect things.
'

BOV's/BPV's make that sound when you release the throttle. But it will only happen after building boost. If he was just cruising and not going WOT, I doubt it was his BOV.

Probably had one of these installed.... :rlaugh:

U.M.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXHA...5545113QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33742QQcmdZViewItem

turbo-sound.jpg

Attachments

• turbo-sound.jpg
    turbo-sound.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 118
he was probably spooling the turbo up while cruising, i use to have a 2.3 turbo and i would spool up under normal driving, sounds like a constant whooshing sound. blow off valves go off when you get out of the throttle, unless he was running a bypass valve, those make the wooshing noise too. just a guess.:shrug:

the 2.4L I4 and the turbo combination make for a very quick spooling setup. Not to mention the term "Mopar Rice Plate" as the srt4 guys call it, is very touchy, you can be under -10hg of boost and it will still sound as loud as shifting at 15psi+, thus why they call it the "Rice Plate". not to mention they can build positive boost in neutral, which is a very difficult thing for turbo cars, which goes to show how well the combo works.

so no, he wasnt doing it intentionally likely unless he was trying to get your attention. I merged behind a white srt4 yesterday onto the freeway, needless to say i couldnt keep with him however his bov was dam loud. Then again, i dont mind srt4's due to their potential, i do however mind some of their owners. My buddy is part of a rather large group here in the valley that all have high end modded srt4's and they all know their ****, and its great to hang out with them being a dsm/evo guy as well, as most the same rules apply as far as modifications go.

with the longer pssssssssst, i'd guess it had the mopar bov conversion plate. mines goes off even without making any boost.

with the longer pssssssssst, i'd guess it had the mopar bov conversion plate. mines goes off even without making any boost.

werd. plus the srt4 can vent to atmosphere, which also accounts for the added loudness, since their airflow sensor (mas/maf whatever they use) is in a blow-through setup. other cars the sensor is before the bov, in which venting is not allowed or advised against, due to already metered air getting lost during shifts, and can have adverse effects.