Falcon/Mustang engine swap questions...

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
I've got a strong 200 6-cyl from a '67 Mustang sitting in the garage. A friend has a '64 Falcon with a 6-cyl that runs like crap. I'm assuming the Falcon has a 170. I want to dump this 200 into her Falcon. I figure it'll be a direct bolt-in -- is there anything I need to know? She's probably got a generator & this engine has an alternator. It'll probably be easiest just to put the generator on this engine if the bracketry works out. Can I switch her to alternator electrics with minimal hassle? Is the harness very different?

Is there a good Falcon forum where I could find some answers?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

reenmachine said:
I've got a strong 200 6-cyl from a '67 Mustang sitting in the garage. A friend has a '64 Falcon with a 6-cyl that runs like crap. I'm assuming the Falcon has a 170. I want to dump this 200 into her Falcon. I figure it'll be a direct bolt-in -- is there anything I need to know? She's probably got a generator & this engine has an alternator. It'll probably be easiest just to put the generator on this engine if the bracketry works out. Can I switch her to alternator electrics with minimal hassle? Is the harness very different?

Is there a good Falcon forum where I could find some answers?

Thanks in advance.

Falcon and Mustang are pretty much the same car, if you want to go with the alternator just wire it like a 65, I can send you the diagrams if you need them. Hit me @ [email protected] and I'll send them to you.

WORTH said:
Falcon and Mustang are pretty much the same car, if you want to go with the alternator just wire it like a 65, I can send you the diagrams if you need them. Hit me @ [email protected] and I'll send them to you.
Thanks. I've got all of the wiring diagrams and all of the shop manuals, so I should be good to go. It's just that the Falcon is 400 miles away so I just wanted to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I schlep everything out there.

If I remember from my Mustang 200 swap into a 62 S-22 Comet, the bell housings are a different diameter. The older one will bolt up if you relocate the guide pins. I think that 200 has two bolt patterns for the trannies. I kept all the old stuff and installed a HD Econoline clutch after I was finished because the 200 would just spin it without going anywhere. Awesome swap though!