Fan Clutch Questions

Ninety_1_Notch

Jan 3, 2003
Indiana
How can I tell if the fan/clutch is no longer working? Would it spin all the time, or not spin the way it should? My car gets really warm in town but highway driving is fine. The cooling system is stock (new 180* t-stat, reman water pump less than 1000 miles). Theres pressure in the upper hose and the system has been checked for air bubbles. I dont think the heater core is clogged because the both hoses are warm when the cars been running. The car has a mild h/c/i but nothing crazy. Also when I turn my headlights on or parking lights the temp instantly goes up a bar or the "normal" gauge, even with the KOEO. But then if I shut the lights off it drops down again...Is that normal? I know stock gauges aren't great but why would the lights affect the temp gauge?

• Sponsors (?)

Ninety_1_Notch said:
How can I tell if the fan/clutch is no longer working? Would it spin all the time, or not spin the way it should? My car gets really warm in town but highway driving is fine. The cooling system is stock (new 180* t-stat, reman water pump less than 1000 miles). Theres pressure in the upper hose and the system has been checked for air bubbles. I dont think the heater core is clogged because the both hoses are warm when the cars been running. The car has a mild h/c/i but nothing crazy. Also when I turn my headlights on or parking lights the temp instantly goes up a bar or the "normal" gauge, even with the KOEO...Is that normal?

That thing about the needle going up with the lights on used to happen to me all the time before I did the 3g upgrade.

As far as testing the clutch, spin it with engine off while cold, it should have little to no resistance. Then bring it up to operating temperature, shut the engine off, and spin.. there should be noticable resistance.

Sgarlic is right. You should get a real guage so you know what is going on (if not for anything more than diagnostics. If you hate having a gauge inside the car, stick it under the hood, a la Yount).

Another sign of a bad clutch is fluid leaking out the front hub. The viscous coupling cant function proplerly if the silicone is gone.

Dont forget to check the fan blade - they tend to crack. Make sure the fan shroud is sealed well against the radiator too.

Good luck.