fan doesn't come on

dstanggt50

Founding Member
Sep 13, 2000
Woodinville, WA
I;ve just finished putting my car back together, and noticing some problems. One of them is that my fan doesn't seem to be coming on. I've run a KOEO test, and when its testing I can hear the fan come on w/both speeds. I had the car running for about 10-15 minutes, and it never kicked on? I tride turning the ac on high, still nothing. I am registering a code 564, and when I looked it up, it said fan controller. Before my project, everything was working ok, so could it have just gone bad? Also, is the ccrm the same thing as a fan controller. Its the thing right next overflow, holding everything down right? Any ideas?

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

That's good that it can cycle high and low. The CCRM houses the fan relays. The ECT is what tells the computer to turn on the fan at a given temp (about 208* at the stock sender in the lower intake; it's a bit higher per the ECT spec). Those are the major components in the 'controller'.

When up to temp (210* or over) does pin 14 on the CCRM show 12 volts? Or with the AC on max, does Pin 17 show ground? Knowing this will tell you if the correct signal is being sent to the CCRM's respective relays, but they're unable to close.

The PCM is heavily involved in fan control, as well as the EDF control relay.............. Dont ask - I've been running down this stuff myself. :bang:

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
That's good that it can cycle high and low. The CCRM houses the fan relays. The ECT is what tells the computer to turn on the fan at a given temp (about 208* at the stock sender in the lower intake; it's a bit higher per the ECT spec). Those are the major components in the 'controller'.

When up to temp (210* or over) does pin 14 on the CCRM show 12 volts? Or with the AC on max, does Pin 17 show ground? Knowing this will tell you if the correct signal is being sent to the CCRM's respective relays, but they're unable to close.

The PCM is heavily involved in fan control, as well as the EDF control relay.............. Dont ask - I've been running down this stuff myself. :bang:

Good luck.

This might be a dumb question, but to chk those pins, I would get a voltmeter and those pin type connectors and try to to test through the wire , or can I somehow test it w/out it ( like maybe through a terminal:shrug: ) If I test and its getting the 12 volts, this means that the ccrm is bad?
Thanks,

dstanggt50 said:
This might be a dumb question, but to chk those pins, I would get a voltmeter and those pin type connectors and try to to test through the wire , or can I somehow test it w/out it ( like maybe through a terminal:shrug: ) If I test and its getting the 12 volts, this means that the ccrm is bad?
Thanks,
Yes, use your DMM and pierce the insulation (I dont think you can access the terminals through the wiring connector because it's water-tight. I could be wrong).

If you see 12 volts at Pin 14, that does suggest that the low speed relay could have failed.
With Max AC on, pin 17 should show ground. If neither happens, one has to do more troubleshooting.

Good luck,

ok, I'm waiting on a friend to lend me his dvom, but I was looking at some stuff beforehand and had another question. Are all 24 pins on the ccrm connecter supposed to have somehting? I was looking, (don't know if this has anything to do with it) but it looks like pin # 9, 19, and 20 don't have a metal thing sticking out to connect into the ccrm. Could this be a problem, are they all suposed to have something to connect into the ccrm?

thanks,

Nope, 9, 19, and 20 are indeed blank.

Here's a pin-out diagram - go almost to the bottom of the page.

When I lived in Woodinville, it was tiny. But if there's a Harbor Freight anywhere nearby these days, you can grab a DMM on sale for under 5 bucks - nice to have around.

Good luck.

Ok, got done testing with the dvom yesterday, and had some questions. I only have the stock guage, so we waited until it was around the middle of the guage, checked pin 14, showed 12 volts. Then we turned the a/c on, and and pin 17 checked ok. We shut it off because I was leaking oil at the T connecter that feeds the s-trim, fixed and started again to see if the leak went away. After letting the car idle for about 10 minutes, the fan comes on.:shrug: I pulled the codes again, and 564 went away. I thought maybe when we pierced the wires or something somehow affected it, but after we were done with the testing, had the car running for a while longer to locate the oil leak and chk out other things. So, does this mean my ccrm is on its way out?:shrug:

dstanggt50 said:
Ok, got done testing with the dvom yesterday, and had some questions. I only have the stock guage, so we waited until it was around the middle of the guage, checked pin 14, showed 12 volts. Then we turned the a/c on, and and pin 17 checked ok. We shut it off because I was leaking oil at the T connecter that feeds the s-trim, fixed and started again to see if the leak went away. After letting the car idle for about 10 minutes, the fan comes on.:shrug: I pulled the codes again, and 564 went away. I thought maybe when we pierced the wires or something somehow affected it, but after we were done with the testing, had the car running for a while longer to locate the oil leak and chk out other things. So, does this mean my ccrm is on its way out?:shrug:
I'm not sure I follow you. When you initially tested the Pins 14 and 17, they were functioning properly, along with the fan?

Then upon restarting it, it took longer than you thought it should for the fan to come on? If this is so, and you thought the fan should be on, did Pins 14 or 17 show 12 volts/ground (respectively)? If so, but your fan wasnt on, that suggests the CCRM. But if neither pin is active, the CCRM isnt getting the signal to do anything.

Here's something to try: when the fan is either running or hot enough where it should run, try lightly pushing and pulling on the wiring for the fan (at the CCRM). A loose connection is possible and when you disturbed the wires while testing, it could have pulled the wire out a hair.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I'm not sure I follow you. When you initially tested the Pins 14 and 17, they were functioning properly, along with the fan?

Then upon restarting it, it took longer than you thought it should for the fan to come on? If this is so, and you thought the fan should be on, did Pins 14 or 17 show 12 volts/ground (respectively)? If so, but your fan wasnt on, that suggests the CCRM. But if neither pin is active, the CCRM isnt getting the signal to do anything.

Here's something to try: when the fan is either running or hot enough where it should run, try lightly pushing and pulling on the wiring for the fan (at the CCRM). A loose connection is possible and when you disturbed the wires while testing, it could have pulled the wire out a hair.

Good luck.

When we tested pin 14 and 17, they shoed 12v/ground, and the fan was not working. We stopped because I had to fix that T connector for the oil feed. After that, we were running the car to see if the oil leaked, and thats when the fan actually came on. We did not pull codes right before testing the pins, but the day before when I pulled codes, it registered 564. After finding out the fan worked, we checked for codes again to see if it was still there, and it went away. I thought somehow when we tested the wires, maybe it did something to kick it on, but don't know. Does the ccrm act sparaticaly (sp ) before going out, or do you think it was a loose connecter or something?
Thanks

dstanggt50 said:
When we tested pin 14 and 17, they shoed 12v/ground, and the fan was not working. We stopped because I had to fix that T connector for the oil feed. After that, we were running the car to see if the oil leaked, and thats when the fan actually came on. We did not pull codes right before testing the pins, but the day before when I pulled codes, it registered 564. After finding out the fan worked, we checked for codes again to see if it was still there, and it went away. I thought somehow when we tested the wires, maybe it did something to kick it on, but don't know. Does the ccrm act sparaticaly (sp ) before going out, or do you think it was a loose connecter or something?
Thanks
That first line is very telling - now I see what you meant. The computer was telling the CCRM to kick the fan on but it wouldnt.

The CCRM gets worn out from heat and the relay contacts stop energizing. YOu can also check the fan output terminals (equivelant of the normally open terminal on an SPDT relay) in the CCRM. Do try tapping the CCRM body or moving the CCRM wires around - it the relays click on and off, that's very telling.

You really could wire up a couple external SPDT relays to handle the fan chores - I chose not to and got a variable fan controller (sweet unit) to take care of mine (I lost the high speed switching that comes from the PCM itself - easier to circumvent than fix that).

Good luck.