fan noise

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
the fan in my stock (see sig) just got a whole lot louder than it has been, once you get over 1.5 k you hear it spinning allot, then once you get over 2 it sounds like an 18wheeler and it makes allot of noise. i can barely hear my exhaust over it. and its all rpm dependant. the worst is when you shift at 2 and you hear it slow down. i hate it, it never did this before,it just started last night. my fan looks like there are tiny cracks in it that go from anywhere from a quarter of an inch long to over an inch, but it still looks stable. if the motor is off and you turn the fan by hand then it seems hard to turn by itself. i hope you all have enough details for now. letme know whati can do. im gonna have somewhere look at it sometime. now is the time to go electric?

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like the thermal clutch is taking a poo and getting tight. This can be normal (they either get loosey goosie or tight).

The fan blade is something I would replace ASAP. I went with a metal replacement, but I'll note that it moves a lot of air and is noisy (think 747).

Good luck.

Roland69 said:
I must be tired cause when I looked at the title of the thread I thought it said Fart noise
A fart noise can be from running too rich - try lowering bean consumption to lean it out a bit. It might help with the backfires. :D

an electric fan setup is nice and fairly inexpensive.

If your running the stock Alternator I would suggest at least a 130A 3G alternator swap. under $200 from PA Performance (50resto.com)

Im running a 130A 3G with the Taurus fan. Im only running the low speed and it seems quite adequate for a mostly stock motor.

130A 3G -$198
Taurus fan -$50 (junk yard)
wires/fuses/relay -$30