Fan Shroud

Justin111

Nov 28, 2011
Hi,

Does anyone know if any Fords fan shrouds interchange with a 88 GT. I got one out a Lincoln with a 5 liter thinking it would fit but it's too big. The local junk yard doesn't have to many mustang 5.0's but a lot of other different Fords.

Thanks

Justin

• Sponsors (?)

I read the flow on a Lincoln Mark VIII fan was over 5000 cfm. I tried one, but could never get the temperature controller to work right. A set of head gaskets later I went back to the mechanical.

I might have a Mark VIII fan and controller plus wiring for sale. Needs new controller. Fan pulls over 50 amps at startup. Kept melting the mini 40 amp fuses before the controller went out. Also need a big alternator. I have a 140 and the lights at night would dim when the fan kicked on.

I read the flow on a Lincoln Mark VIII fan was over 5000 cfm. I tried one, but could never get the temperature controller to work right. A set of head gaskets later I went back to the mechanical.

I might have a Mark VIII fan and controller plus wiring for sale. Needs new controller. Fan pulls over 50 amps at startup. Kept melting the mini 40 amp fuses before the controller went out. Also need a big alternator. I have a 140 and the lights at night would dim when the fan kicked on.

You wired it wrong,have the wrong controller, or U/D pulleys. I've used that fan on 2 Mustangs, including one with an S trim pushing almost 450 hp and it never got over 190. Melting fuses means you either did not have sufficient grounds and/or did not have a variable speed controller setup which starts the fan at 60% to avoid the spiking of amps. Take a look at the flex a lite 33054 or the DCC controllers. For $100 they will make that E fan work flawlessly in conjunction with proper grounds.

The beer kicked in, but I'll try. :D

I'm not saying its a bad fan thing moves a ton of air. My issue was the temp controller. The relay was only rated at 25 amp which is I think around the continuous current draw for the Mark VIII. I had the 25 amp control a 55 amp Hella relay. The mini 40 amp, the plastic kept melting. I put on a maxi 50 amp and never had issues with the fuse.

My memory is kicking in, its a Derale controller. The fan basically stopped turning on and off. The adjustable pot did nothing. I think the derale is just on\off with a 10 or 15 degree deadband.

I do have U\D btw. Cobra U\D crank, Cobra O\D water pump and March O\D alternator. Alt should be at or close to stock speed. $155.00 pulley set for one O\D alt pulley. Nice.

DSC00174_zpsa947cc1d.jpg
DSC00175_zps6bb299b3.jpg

This is a Lincoln Mark VIII fan. Fits the 93 and under 5.0 radiator perfectly. Not much clearance. Maybe a half inch from back of fan to water pump pulley. You have to cut the shroud back until the point where the fan almost rubs the radiator. Rear-ending someone will send the engine into the fan and fan into the radiator. If you have the 94 - 95 short water pump style then you have more room.

You can see on the back side off the fan. The center metal ring where the wiring connector is. The parts on top where the black paint is missing is where the water pump pulley bolts dinged the fan.

You can kind of tell how far back I cut the shroud. Any further and the fan rubs the radiator. I had to sand off the ribbing and add holes on one side so I could bolt on the overflow tank. Added a strip of rubber insulation where it presses up against the radiator.

Its a great fan. I had issues with the aftermarket controller I used, and after that its not worth the risk to me.

I really liked using this fan because it made the car look like it came with a electric fan from the factory.

Last edited: