Fox Fan suggestions

lots of guys running Ford Contour fans. Dual fan. Fits the radiator pretty good, still requires some fab. The biggest issue is the reserve tank and controller. There's a thousand ways to skin a cat. A lot of OEM fans from a junkyard will fit and work in a fox body Mustang. Ramcharger, Lincold Mark VIII, etc. If you can find a factory V8 equipped car that has a factory equipped electric fan that will fit, you're better off going that direction. IIRC Pontiac Firebirds had electric fans in a few of them, and I do remember quite well that if you hold the fan assembly in the air with your hand and put power on the leads, it will almost pick you up off the ground like a helicopter. I had one on my big block swapped F150 for a number of years; and when it was on, you KNEW it, not so much because of it's noise, but because of the hot air coming out from underneath the truck. I actually trimmed the fan up to make it fit the F150 shroud, and it worked great.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I watched that episode several times, the fixed blade fan sucked up the most hp of course and the test used a radiator and shroud for each type of fan, fixed blade, aluminum (I think it was actually tin) flex blade and the clutch type. I'd have to watch it again but seems to me the clutch fan won out on the overall average, just for fun they removed the shroud but that negates pulling air through the radiator so the fan just spins not doing any actual work.
One interesting find was the flex fan actually flattened out to the point of blocking air movement.
A properly engineered electric fan setup to me would be best as long as the electrical system is factored in.

I just went through replacing all my cooling components. Went with a Champion 2 core,about $180, Mr.Gasket 180* thermostat, Autozone HD water pump, new clutch fan as well. I'm running a 331 with turbo. Car runs 190* in the heat.

Contour fan is the way to go for a Foxbody. They are in the $90 range new on ebay. I wouldn't bother with the SN fan. My car runs hot with a 2" aluminum radiator and a high flow water pump and thermostat. The best cooling mod I ever did was the Mr. Gasket high flow thermostat. Like $10, and it made the biggest difference.

Kurt

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
I've never used anything but a stock cluth style fan. I've driven Foxbodies for years in Houston at hi 90 degree temps, never had an issue with heat. Cars ran good in stop and go traffic there and with me beating on it. Had a 3 core radiator, factory waterpump and a plate for a thermostat with a small hole drilled in it for awhile and then a period of time without a plate or thermostat at all.

That being said, my current setup is a 3 core radiator that is 20 years old, 180* tstat, Edelbrock Hi Volume WP and stock cluth style fan that the cluth is at least 23 years old on. Temps here in Colorado in the low 80s will creep up to the halfway mark on the Guage sitting for 10 min. Perhaps the clutch is no longer functioning correctly.

Last edited:
My new stock clutch fan blows up the air under the hood. I cant believe the sound, and the cool engine. It was a sleeper problem that was bad , and you really would not know it was a problem unless you were on it.

It’s tough to beat a 94-98 electric fan. They’re cheap as hell from the junkyard, and you can find them everywhere.

That with a lmr brand radiator, and high flow pump keeps my coolant temps at 180* down here.

the last I did ..taking out the Contour fans and sold them ... by the way ...excellent cooling ..no question ..but for a NA Car just overkill ...I bought this set .. and its all my 331 cu needs ... cools down perfect .....and its not expensive 99$$ and easy to install ....
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=272978814361..

Depends on where you live. I've lived in Florida and Georgia almost my whole life. You fight to keep anything cool down here.

Kurt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I live at the pacific Coast in Costa Rica by the way ...maybe 25 deg Celsius or 77 F is the lowest we have here.. normal is 30 to 35 and more ...:coff::coff: that cooling stuff is like sience...since I changed the Engine to more powerfull but using the same Pump and Radiator etc..engine runs cooler then befor, using a Hyundei 82 deg Thermostat... ..i dont know why....:chin:chin:chin

Attachments

• 20200713_085549.jpg
    20200713_085549.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I have the dual Contour fans running off relays (the way Ford did it - actually took the whole Contour wire harness off an old DD of mine) and use a dual speed fan switch from a VW, low on at 192 and high at 210 (I think those are the numbers).

My rad is a 3 core OEM style (copper or brass or whatever they are made of). I have a 180* thermostat. Was out last week for a 20 minute cruise. Outside temp as about 85-90* and fans never turned on once. I manually turned on both low and high speed when I got home just to check they were working.

20180816_104957.jpg
Overflow bottle is not an issue unless you go with a big 3 or 4 core aluminum rad. I mounted my stock bottle to the rad/fan shroud (with zipties for a year and half before I built a bracket).

Given the capabilities of the Contour fans I personally would have no issue or worry running them with a stock 2 core rad. Clearance to the engine pulleys would be amazing.