fast blinker and loss of power

kimsmith4256

Feb 14, 2009
I gave the Mustang a bath and after the right hand turn signal started flashing fast. I checked all the bulbs and everything is working although very fast. Now my voltage meter on the dash is pegging high at times and I the engine is powering down when this occurs. Anyone have an idea what could cause this, I am not a mechanic by any means but I can do my oil changes and can find my way around most things. Help!!

• Sponsors (?)

When you washed your Stang, did you also wash out the engine bay? If so, you've probably got water in the wiring harness. :(

A fast-flashing bulb could also mean high resistance on the lines, even though the bulbs are working. You might have gotten some water in a connector. Though I admit I'm not sure what else would cause the bulbs to blink fast.

As to the voltage meter, sounds like you have a bad ground wire. On the driver's side, there should be a wire going from the driver's motor mount to the frame near the sway bar. Disconnect it at both ends, make sure there isn't any corrosion. I'd also recommend replacing it anyway - the factory ones are known for going bad.

We have electronic flashers so load should not be an issue per se. Too much voltage to the flasher could have fried it or a bulb though.

Dont start the car if you're really pegging the voltmeter. Above about 16 volts, you can start to blow bulbs and hurt electronics in the car. Your battery light should come on if alt output is too high.

A fast blinker can also mean that the bulb is about to burn out. I've had this happen to my stang and my VW before. As soon as I put in a new bulb the blinker went back to normal. If it's blinking fast only on one side, try changing out that bulb.