FatMat? Interior dye?

bluebeast

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2002
Mass
I gutted the interior to replace it with all new stuff. I want to put down a dynomat type material but i dont want to spend the dynomat money. i have heard of this stuff called fatmat. It is a whole lot cheaper than dynomat would it be worth it to buy the fatmat instead of the dynomat?

Also anyone who dyed the interior of their car how hard was it. About how many cans of the dye did you use? And what brand did you use?

Thanks
eric

• Sponsors (?)

My only experience with sound deadening materials has been with dynamat and some cascade products. I haven't used fatmat, so i'm sure others on here can weigh in with their thoughts.

As for interior dye, I only use SEM brand vinyl dyes. You can find them online, or at most automotive/auto body supply shops. Great stuff. The amount you will need can vary, but expect to use up a half dozen cans or more, depending on how much of the interior you plan to dye.

Good luck with your projects,

Alan

IMO, just about anything is better than dynamat (at least in terms of value). There are a lot of options, FatMat, like you said, Brown Bread, as well as several others, and most of them are cheaper than dynamat and will perform almost identically.

In fact, if you wanted, you could head over to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if they carry a product called "Peel N' Seal". It's in the roofing section, and is essentially the same thing as Dynamat Extreme, although a bit thinner, so it might take a little more. I've got some in my car, and I could hear some difference, but I do plan on getting some more when time allows. Anyway, it comes in either a 6" X 25' roll, or a 1' X 12' roll, and basically works out to $1 per foot or so. It's a nice alternative if you don't want to wait on shipping for another product.

For dying interior..2 cans for the plastic and 1 can for the vinly, also one can of vinyl prep. All product was from 50resto and color match was right on to my dash which was the only smoke grey peice when I started, it all was perfect match when I was done.