Feasibility of making a friend's (and my) exhaust? (ranting prologue)

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
(backstory) Well, my friend Joe has an '01 Civic that he is trying to turn into a hot rod. (Yes, I'm mentoring him as how 'not' to rice it out) So we have started as of late working on the exhaust- he bought a header and a down pipe off of someone on his civic forum, put them on and of course they sounded like azz with the stock muffler and resonator. Oh yeah, it was supposed to be a cat... but turns out it was just a high flow resonator that replaced the cat (popped that 'catalyst efficiency below threshold' code real quick...oops :p). So we take it to an exhaust shop that put on the cross pipe for my exhaust and did a muffler for my other friend Mike's truck. Haven't been there a while and the guy I normally worked with wasn't there. So my friend asks for prices for a mid pipe and muffler. He is quoted $240 for a flowmaster, and $285 for a borla, then $45 for a tip to be welded on. He decides to go with the Borla and says "So, $330 is the total for the Borla set up?" and the migrant worker running the shop at the time says 'yeah'. So my friends says alright, let's do it. They start working and he calls me to come down to check things out since I'm THE car guy of our group. I come down and the guys are bending the mid pipe. They bend it up and fit it up to the car, then weld the pipe directly onto the flange of the 'cat'!! I should have stopped them right there but I just asked why they did that. Apparently they don't source flanges and didn't have one to fit a 3 bolt 2.25" flange. Apparently this exhaust shop doesn't carry flanges like that... except of course for the ones back there on the back wall. :shrug: :bang:
To shorten this up a bit... these were the problems that occured
*Pipe welded to flange on 'cat'... essentially making exhaust from muffler to the header one piece. :bang:
*Thought muffler looked strangely familiar while mocking it up... I was right, they were using a flowmaster instead of a borla :shrug:
*Halfway through with job the worker asks Joe to come inside for paper work, instead of the $285 for the flowmaster or even the $330 for the borla, the bill is for $370. With a labor charge not posted anywhere in the shop. :bs:
*Pipe we find out later is bent completely wrong, ending up not fitting into large recessed area alloted for it and banging around when driving. (THink about trying to drop a bridge lengthwise into a gorge, and somehow twisting it to link both sides at an angle).
*Tip that is welded on is of bolt on design (autoparts store type). I ask the guy what he is gonna do with the holes left when the bolts are taken out. Apparently, this genius decided that it would be smarter to slag around the bolts and size adjusters than to take them out and fill the holes... :bang: :shrug:
*Because pipe is bent wrong they have to make a connection above the back lower control arm. This is done by expanding a pipe a little larger than needed so that the other pipe can slide in at an angle. Then, because he cannot take the midpipe off, he has to weld around the pipe within about a 3-4" area of space next to the frame and suspension.
*After he finishes he drops it down and asks Joe to come into the office for the paperwork. I tell them to hold on and let me inspect it. He raises the car back up, and I find 5!!! leaks around the welds... this is after the guy had already gone through and run is hands around them. I found 2 at that ghetto rigged angle connection and 3 around the slagged bolts on the tip. I told him to put his hand over the end to provide backpressure and the first thing he asks is 'why?'. He does it and I find the leaks then tell him to run his hands over again while I do it. He says he doesn't feel anything (using the palm of his hands). So I tell him to cover the tip again and take his even more migrant (no-speak-a-da-english) helper and show 'him' the spots. He feels them and concurs with me. So the guy 'fixes' them, and when I say fix I mean throw slag at them until they stop.
*We talk to the owner. Apparantly the pipe on flange is how they do things... but if we find a flange, they will weld it on. If they pipe is bent wrong, then they will fix it. And as far as the price mistakes, he will 'look into' if Joe was charged excess labor because he doesn't know what prices his guys are charging or at what rate :shrug: :bs: :bs: Oh yeah, and they don't even stock Borla exhausts... even though hey have a large Borla Authorized dealer sign and are quoting prices. We'll see what happens today.
(Ranting Swede Mode---OFF)

ANYWAYS, I felt really bad about recommending that shop to my friend so I was looking at possibly getting the parts to make one for him. I currently don't know how to MIG weld, but alot of guys from work do and Joe said he's decent also. I was wondering what y'all thought the possibilities of success might be for getting the tubing from like summit or jegs and fabbing up an exhaust? His is pretty simple, from the end of the down pipe in the centerline of the car, the exhaust needs one curve over to the recessed area, one compound curve up into and facing down the recess, then a straight pipe into the muffler and a tip and that's about it. What do y'all think? I priced out the materials (just the exhaust parts) and with a new muffler we're looking at about $170 or so, probably no more than $200, though knowing us it'll be more like $250 in the end no matter what. What do y'all think, possible? (Oh yeah, he'd sell the exhaust they are fixing now to try and recoup some money)

If that went well, I was also gonna look into fabbing the exhaust for my car as well. I think it would be fairly easy too (not saying easy, just not as difficult) since I want a side exhaust that doesn't have to go over the axle. I checked out the picture that mustangdepot has of their spintech one and I'm wondering if y'all think it would be worth not paying like $630 for theirs plus the x-pipe compared with making my own?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
The Swede

• Sponsors (?)

That really sucks that the exhuast shop screwed you guys over. Thats the reason my little group of car friends have always made our own exhaust systems.

I attached a pic of the only bends I had to do on mine. They are just a mitre cut in the tubing turning the exhaust down infront of the axle. Nevermind my crappy flux core welds on the tube..I guess I should have made it look alot better with an angle grinder but it looks great if all your doing is stooping down to take a look underneath the car.

We have made a few exhaust systems like this...mine was super simple with my crappy flux core welding skills. I wish I had a picture of the system we put on my friends 65 chevy...the headers were dumping about 7 inches away from the tranny crossmember and the tubes were centered on it. It took about 7 mitre cuts to snake it around and get it tucked back up inside the frame rails. Granted this is sort of a slow process but its much cheaper than the exhuast shop and it does really look kind of cool.

We always used 45 degree bends (22.5 degree cut) but any angle can be done just as easy.

We've found that mufflers from summit are the cheapest and tubing from your local parts store (check them all, some are spendy) is cheaper than summit.

1320stang- that's what I was talking about, using the J and U pipes from summit. That and maybe 2 of the 4' lengths and I think we will be set up. I'm gonna check around town here for any places that might have mandrel bent pipes like outta summit and jegs and if not, just order them.

It was raining bad all day here and my friend couldn't make it down to the shop on his lunch break, so hopefully it will get done tomorrow. I'll keep this updated

The Swede

is it feasible to make air-tight welds with a MIG welder? I have one of the lincoln "weld-pak" units and it does great structural type welds but i've never been able to make anything airtight (pinholes everywhere).... alot of this might be my technique? any suggestions for airtight welding with a wirefeed flux-core ("gasless") welder? I've always just assumed you needed a TIG setup? :shrug:

Yeah you can MIG weld without pinholes, just takes practice.

I redid a '81 F-150 that had a 300 I-6 and 4-speed and put in a 351w and C6. I took the headers from a old Mustang and bolted them on, they practically hit the pan on the C6, plu they were going downhill and towards the tranny crossmember. I cut them at a slight angle, about 7-8 degrees on my chop saw and rotated the ends out an up which put them about level and headed over the crossmember. I went to the local exhaust shop and bought some bent exhaust pipe from them that was in the scrap bin, think I paid $5-$10 for 3-4 pieces of pipe that had multiple bends in them. I got straight pipe from Pep Boys and a pair of cherry bomb glass packs, already had a set of collectors for the headers. The passenger side I ran straight back to behind the cab and terminated it there. The drivers side, I went over the drive shaft and came down next to the other pipe, so the 'packs were next to each other and both terminated about 2' behind the cab.

I picked up a '89 Isuzu Amigo w/ 2.6 EFI I-4 and 5 speed weekend before last for $300. It's got 165k on it and it runs, clearcoat is burnt on the hood and top and it didn't have a rag top on it. I already fixed an exhaust leak on it, rear stud on the head was broke off, replaced it and the manifold gaskets. I noticed from the flex connector back, the pipe is pretty rusted, plus it starts out on the drivers side, does a 180 and goes over to the passenger side, enters the convertor, comes out, does another 180 and goes back to the drivers side, enters a small resonator that looks like a little glasspack, goes over the rear axle, then exits under the bumper. It sounds like crap, I found a Flowmaster muffler laying on the road last weekend, 3" in/out, that I plan on putting in. I'll move the convertor over to the drivers side, eliminating about 8' of pipe, and put the Flowmaster behind the axle and have a turndown out the back of it. It'll probably be too loud, but at least it won't be full of holes.

Swede, if the shop you went to has a mandrel bender, make them give you some mandrel bends to make up for their crappy install, then you can make whatever you need.

That's one thing that sucks about Austin, as far as I've been able to figure, no one in town can mandrel bend... the nearest mandrel benders are in either Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston... the big cities. So any bent pipe I get will most likely be compression bent. I'm gonna probably look up underneath his car tomorrow to check out the feasibility of it again, first projection was doing it from memory... we will see.

The swede

Update...

Well, the appointment was yesterday but it's been raining cats and dogs here so Joe wasn't able to go down to the shop. He tried calling but was only able to get one answer by the 'helper'. Joe was supposed to be down there at 1:00, he called at 1:15. The helper said that the boss was out to lunch.

Today: We drive up and the owner is out test driving a truck. Owner comes back and Joe appologizes about not being able to make the appt. yesterday. The owner says 'well, I don't know what to do, I can't take a look at it now'. So Joe says fine and asks if he can reschedule sometime later at the shop's convenience (i.e. he'll take off work) to come in and get it looked at. The owner says "No, I'm not gonna schedule anything else with you, if you drive by and we have a bay open, I'll look at it, but I'm not scheduling anything. I told my guy not to go to lunch and I didn't go to lunch yesterday" and when we asked why we were told you were at lunch already he just said "you were misinformed". He then actually writes up a list of prices for the job (even though he wasn't there)...
175$ for a flowmaster 60 series
45$ for a (mild steel) 6' pipe
45$ for chrome tip and install
90$ for labor
and 17$ tax

When Joe asks why it was 45$ for a peice of mild steel pipe and why one of the flanges in the back weren't used the guy said "If you don't like how we do things you can just get the hell out".... :bs: :bs: :fuss: :chair:

So yeah, now we are definitely pissed... we're looking into calling the BBB, Texas state inspection board for the faulty exhausts this guy is putting on, Texas state comptroller for the lack of prices posted, consumers advocacy, and anyone else we can think of. We are also gonna take pictures and or take the car around to other shops and get statements from them on the work. See what 'proffessional oppinions' have to say about it.

The Swede