Fender Removal - I'm assuming this is NOT stock

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Ok so I'm tearing down my 65 2+2 and have had a few surprises along the way. Namely I know the car was hit in the past on the front. Not too serious but enough to warrant fender replacement.

Removing the front fenders I had removed the lower bolt, the 2 hidden bolts and the 6 apron bolts and was expecting a gentle lift off for removal. No such luck. I discovered that the fender has been spot welded to the headlight bucket....on drivers side and passenger side fenders. The thing is, the spot welds look perfect..like a factory weld:shrug:. Had to drill them out to get the fenders off.

That was not a factory application was it? I know that the drivers side fender was replaced but I think the passenger side is original. Maybe not.

Also, can anyone tell me how many shims are usually found at each bolt along the fender apron bolts?

Thanks

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Removing the front fenders I had removed the lower bolt, the 2 hidden bolts and the 6 apron bolts and was expecting a gentle lift off for removal. No such luck. I discovered that the fender has been spot welded to the headlight bucket....on drivers side and passenger side fenders. The thing is, the spot welds look perfect..like a factory weld:shrug:. Had to drill them out to get the fenders off.
No, you don't. The buckets, as seen in your "1 of 2" photo, are part of the fender, there are two bolts attaching the buckets to a flange on the fender apron.

mustang_fenders1.gif

Also, can anyone tell me how many shims are usually found at each bolt along the fender apron bolts?
Typically zero, but I have seen as many as three on "probably" original fenders.

No, you don't. The buckets, as seen in your "1 of 2" photo, are part of the fender, there are two bolts attaching the buckets to a flange on the fender apron.

mustang_fenders1.gif

Typically zero, but I have seen as many as three on "probably" original fenders.

Thank you. I thought they looked too perfect. No worries, I still have to remove the pass side and will undo the bolts. I can retack the drivers with my mig then grind and recoat. All will be good.

Thanks for the reply.

Chris