few questions on fixing lock/pulling door skin

saleensal

Founding Member
Oct 7, 2002
ca
Well my actuator froze so I need to fix it or at least be able to lock my door. I pulled the skin off a door a long time ago & have some idea how to do it. Do I need a special tool to get the clips out? I remember some of the panel was cardboard & I don't want to damage it. Also should I buy new clips? Any tips? Last but not least how do I disconnect the actuator from the lock? I am not replacing the actuator now, just disconnecting it so it locks with a key. Thx

• Sponsors (?)

The clips should pop out when you pull the door panel/skin off then you can screw them back in and pop the door panel back on, you shouldn't need clips they won't break but be careful cus they rip through the cardboard a lot........and it sucks.

be real careful when you remove the actuator from the ears that hold it on, especially if they are plastic ears (some use metal and some plastic). i speak from experience.

if you break one, get a new one before you rehook the new actuator up down the line. there is a snap ring that holds it onto the rivet through the door. snap ring pliers really help unless you are a member of the Russian circus (read contortionist with small arms).

to get the linkage out, just move the actuator one way or the other (cant remember), but you can see the linkage. it has a dogleg on it. comes right out.

if you want more info, check out Jrichker's home page. go to the tech and then the door lock actuator retrofit article. very detailed. follow what he did to get his old actuator out.
also, i have done his retrofit. piece of cake. cost me $4.77 to do (i had stuff on hand to do it). works great. when the other side's actuator goes, i will do it again on that side. just an idea.

good luck.

Got a question, my passenger door unlocks from both doors switches but the passenger can not get out of the door as the manual pull does nothing. From the outside the passenger opens up like it always did. What is my problem and how do I fix it??

87gtconv said:
Got a question, my passenger door unlocks from both doors switches but the passenger can not get out of the door as the manual pull does nothing. From the outside the passenger opens up like it always did. What is my problem and how do I fix it??
its the inner handle linkage. there is a metal rod that runs the length of the door (from inner handle to the latch). i have had to tweak quite a few. i cant remember which way i went on the stang. i think i straightened it a smidge. just look at how it moves when you actuate the handle.

ok, i got the gerbil to get on the wheel, and the lightbulb came on.

i did straighten it. my problem was (donor door) that the rod was bending instead of transferring the movement to the latch. i straightened it, and it looked troublesome, so i used two zip ties to hold the linkage rod against the inner door metal. this does not allow it to bend, and opens the door.

pop the inner door panel off and look at it. if it doesnt fix bending one way, the other way will do it.
good luck.