FI versus Nitros

utrocketman

Dec 26, 2007
Utah
I have wanted to put FI on my 07 since I purchased it. However the 5K-6K is hard to swallow currently.
I have never been a fan of the bottle and don't really know much about it. It seems like you are able to get massive HP for little money.
I would like to understand both systems better and was wondering if anyone could give me some Pro's and Con's on both?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've gone both routes in the past. Nitrous is great for "fun" runs and a "cool" factor, but superchargers give you power all the time. Bottle refills are around $35-40 dollars for NOS and you get about 6 runs (depends on the shot).

I was looking at the ProCharger Self-Contained centrifugal supercharger. I love the look of the twin screw types but it appears that I can get more power out of a centrifugal supercharger.
Do you have any sugestions on which type ond or brand.
Thanks

Plus the s/c is more reliable than nitrous. Power under your foot at all times:D What s/c are you looking at? You going centrifugal or twin-screw?

that isn't true. a proper nitrous setup is equally or safer than a s/c or turbo.

having run both, im a nitrous fan now. my 06 is my only car, which means it sees all climates. my last car with almost 500rwhp was the scariest thing in the world to drive during sleet and snow. nitrous is here when i need it, and when i need it only. gas mileage is the same all the time unlike a s/c. just food for thought

I was looking at the ProCharger Self-Contained centrifugal supercharger. I love the look of the twin screw types but it appears that I can get more power out of a centrifugal supercharger.
Thanks

forgot to comment on this:

id look into a whipple, simply bc those things are powerhouses. i ran a procharger on my last car, and i fell in love with it. but after installing one on an 05 GT, I hate the filter placement of the procharger. its almost as if they had to quickly find a place to stuff it.

that isn't true. a proper nitrous setup is equally or safer than a s/c or turbo.

having run both, im a nitrous fan now. my 06 is my only car, which means it sees all climates. my last car with almost 500rwhp was the scariest thing in the world to drive during sleet and snow. nitrous is here when i need it, and when i need it only. gas mileage is the same all the time unlike a s/c. just food for thought

Sorry, didn't come out right the way I wanted to explain it. I just just meant that a s/c power is always there on tap while nos can get you 6 plus runs until your empty and have to go an fill it up. My bad, I know nos is a reliable power adder with the right set up.

Thanks

Centrifugal is a good way to build power in the higher rpms while twin screws get you off the line faster with all the boost down low and constant through out the powerband. Go with what you like, it's your ride, prochargers are great for our cars so if that's what you like then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I have been researching both I like you thought for a while of nitrous because of the cost, they are right though it is safe if done right a good base kit 500-800 dollars for the 05+ a complete set up with everything 1500-2000 dollars which is still slightly less than half the price of F/I, the down side of the nitrous power is if you are using it at the strip it is great, you arm the system, heat the bottle to the right pressure, purge the system and you are good. You cant do that if someone pulls up to you on the street and wants to go, it's too late. A supercharger is always available no preparation just instant horsepower. Another down side to nitrous is that for anything over 75-100 shot you will need a custom tune, so that would necessitate loading a tune to run the nitrous.

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are great! I think I may look at the Whipple as I love the way they look and I like low end power. Even though I race at the track I end up racing a whole lot more on the street. My stang is also my daily driver and even though it is a little tricker to drive on snow pack it's not that bad.
What is the consensus on mileage? I realize that if you have your foot in it it will suck, but I see alto of claims of better mileage with a FI. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are great! I think I may look at the Whipple as I love the way they look and I like low end power. Even though I race at the track I end up racing a whole lot more on the street. My stang is also my daily driver and even though it is a little tricker to drive on snow pack it's not that bad.
What is the consensus on mileage? I realize that if you have your foot in it it will suck, but I see alto of claims of better mileage with a FI. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Stangnet doesn't promote street racing so if you do (which we can't hold you back from doing but prefer the track) Don't post up street racing or your thread will be closed. :Track: But good luck on whatever FI you do and be safe:flag:

Sorry, It won't happen again.

No it's cool man. I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm just warning you that's all from previous threads. What ever you do on your own time is none of our business, just keep street racing to yourself. Otherwise people on here are pretty cool and try to help you out on questions you may have.

Thanks for letting me know and all the helpful sugestions. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get a $5K purchase past the wife.

No problem :rlaugh: Yeah, good luck with that one. I told my girlfriend if we ever get married, I'll get her a ring and she gets me a supercharger:D But I don't think it will happen, didn't hurt to try though:p

I like the whipple. I really like the fact that it comes with the dual GT500 pumps also, so it really is a complete kit. I used to run nitrous, and nitrous definitely has some advantages, but the bottle refills start adding up after a while.

Plus, because of the plug design the 3v has, you can go faster at the track with a s/c. Nitrous can put you in the 11's, but I don't know of any 3v that is in the 10's running exclusively nitrous.

Were nitrous would really shine is if you daily drive your car alot, with a track outing every month or so. Then you could use the 100-125 shot, put down some low 12-high 11 timeslips when your at the track. Then drive like normal back and forth to work. Then the bottle refills won't kill you in the wallet. But if your going to race often, those refills will add up. I used to get 6 solid 1/4mile passes on the 125 shot from a 10lb bottle.