Filler neck/Gas tank leak: Chime in this is important

281CI96Coupe

Oct 30, 2006
Hey guys, I just wanted to tell you guys that i had a small leak when i filled up at the gas station today. This how it all started, I started to smell raw unburned gas around the wheel well of my back right tire. I thought my car was running kind of rich since when I had the MIL's on. Well, I filled up the tank today, parked it, immediately saw leakage, a good size puddle too. It scared the crap out of me for damn sure.

Its hard to see a car that you love/take care of, almost like your child and to see a problem like this happen. I heard this was a common problem actually. Im not mechanically inclined about doing work by myself but I do understand the problem. The rubber seal around the filler neck connecting to gas tank is soaked with gas. Anyone have any ideas on how much this is going to run me for labor?

Nathan

• Sponsors (?)

is it where the filler neck goes into the tank?

im not sure about the 96/97 tanks but i know on the 94/95 theres like a rubber groument that the filler goes through that sometimes gets dry rotted. its a $20 part at the dealership and its easy to change out

i've got the same issue, the grommet is soaked with gas all the time and it leaks and puddles around the lip of the gas tank (sounds safe, yes?). I've been told in other threads that this is relatively simple to replace alone, with an empty tank and a jack. as for labor costs, not too sure although it shouldnt be TOO much since it doesnt require much effort with a lift at a shop. hope this helps :shrug:

this is getting tobe a common problem lately; here's some helpfull info:
1994 to 1997 use part # F4ZZ-9072-DA and it retails for @$28.00
1998 which is a year by itself on the fuel system uses part # F8ZZ-9072-AC and retailts for @$13.00
1999 to 2004 use part # 2R3Z-9072-AA and it retails for @$18.00

I think this is a common thing too. It is not too bad to fix yourself. I have had it down a bunch. It is something to make sure you fix imho

Dropping the tank is not a big deal at all as long as its like below 1/4 tank. Just 3 bolts on the straps and 3 on the filler to car. i think that about it. Just be careful and you will be fine

I have to agree with what those have said about how easy that would be to replace.... I got a new grommet when dropping the tank last time at napa for like 8 bucks......

In my opinions it's an easier job than even a simple brake change....having never dropped the tank, provided you have a jack, you could probably be done within 45 mins going slow and taking your time......

if you do it.....obviously make sure you have as little gas as possible...1/4 tank or less would be ideal.....

and then when pulling the spout out of tank...I found the easiest way was to lower the tank a good 5-6 inches and pull the tank to the drivers side while someone else pulls the spout.....If you don't lower the tank far enough to move it side to side under the car it can be a ******...because the spout is actually quite long and extends into the tank quite far, not leaving you much room to pull it out if the tank is not moved.... hope that makes sense....

hope that helps if you do it yourself...:nice:

I have replaced leaky gromets. I have also seen the new style filler neck rot out due to the plastic conduet around it. It keeps condensation and dirt up in there.

Bad Design

I have no idea what the design intent of using the plastic conduit around the filler tube neck was. I encountered leaking gas when filling up, followed by an engine light. When I cut off the plastic conduit, the tub was so corroded I could probably crush it in my hand. I am going to replace the tube and gasket this coming weekend, but I certainly won't put that conduit around it.

I'm just wondering if this can be done without dropping the tank. Also, any advice on how to put the new filler tube in without damaging the check valve?

Yep....very common!

I'll do brake pads any day over this!! :eek:

Sort of lubing it up every few months it will tear eventually!

I went through this on my 01 GT about a year ago! I ran the car till the fuel light came on (and I never do that...But I didn't want any extra weight in the tank, just in case)

While it is an easy job.......it is frustrating at the same time!
When I did mine I was told you didn't need to drop the tank, just loosen it (I ran the tank empty just to be safe, if I had to drop it)! Well I’m here to tell you (save yourself the hassle, and drop the tank). The filler neck extends really far into the tank and simply loosening the tank and unbolting the filler tube isn't enough. I wasted about 30mins. trying to do it without dropping the tank (guess what??????I dropped the tank). The old Grommet comes out really easy (if it's as bad as mine was). BECAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANY LARGE HUNKS OF IT IN THE TANK (or you will be pulling the fuel pump to fish it out).

Also putting the new one in is a treat as well! I used Vaseline on the grommet and started pushing and turning and squeezing, and turning and pushing some more. It goes back in the hole but if you’re like me you will be saying some words your family shouldn't hear come from your mouth! The grommet has a channel just off the inside surface that is a perfect fit for the tanks hole but the inbound lip a head of this channel needs to pass in through the tank hole before the channel can rest in the hole. This lip is larger than the tanks hole (it's like shoving a 3" rubber ball into a 2-1/2 inch hole). Once you get the new grommet started (and that's the trick) then you just push while turning the grommet. I also "GENTLY" used a screw driver to assist with getting it started (this shows how tough the rubber is)! Don't go nuts with the screw driver you don't want to tear the rubber or bend the tank hole!

It took me about 1-1/2 hours to do the job (30 minutes of that was spent trying to get the filler neck out without dropping the tank)!

As for labor cost, not sure couple hundred maybe!

GOOD LUCK!

Ahhh... Randy's here. Listen to him guys. He's good at what he does.

Nice to see you again Randy. I was talking to someone about you the other day and how you helped me out back in the day.

:nice:

On Edit: Didn't realize that this thread is a Zombie back from the dead... IS Randy here these days?

2000 Mustang fuel Filler Neck

Hello All!
This is my first post. New to the Mustang world but excited to jump in!
So I have discovered this common problem with the fuel fill system. We have a "service ingine" amber light indicator on and had the computer check and the result was VAC or whatever. Could be a hundred things right? Well my wife discovered the drip of fuel on the driveway so here we are. My question is simple. "Where can I get the tube or neck itself other than dealership?":shrug:
Anybody? Please help save a few bucks! And thanks for all the great advice!
You all Rock!!