Build Thread Finally! 89 Notch 2v Swap Progress Thread Project: 89mach1

Hell yeah, come on by! You're welcome to stop and look. I wouldn't make you sand though,that's my personal hell.

Man I just might drop you a line and do that. My buddy that's traveling with me is one of the few people in my area that's a bigger mustang nut than me. I sent him a link to this thread a while back and he drooled for days!

Plus, you'll get a sneek peek at the fox I'm picking up before I post pics!;)

• Sponsors (?)

Man I just might drop you a line and do that. My buddy that's traveling with me is one of the few people in my area that's a bigger mustang nut than me. I sent him a link to this thread a while back and he drooled for days!

Plus, you'll get a sneek peek at the fox I'm picking up before I post pics!;)

No problem, I have no life right now until I get a real job, so I'm always working on it. Drop me an email if you decide you wanna stop by. It should have primer on the driver side by tommorrow.

Can you post up a sound clip of that exhaust and more pics once you get the primer on?

Sorry on the sound clip man. Engine no worky. I expect it to have more of a burble rather than the metallic rasp of a chambered muffler. On that I'll have to wait and see. As far as the body, I will post pics after it gets the entire side covered in one solid coat of primer. Tomorrow, maybe tuesday.
I sanded my ass off this week end.
My wife asked me what I got done.
Nothin', I said.

She wouldn't notice the difference anyway. :shrug:

anyone who cant appreciate the work going into it, doesnt belong commenting on it in the first place.

some awesome fabrication going into that car. i wish i had half the skill. nice project man, i read all the threads on here but don't necessarly post alot. i guess im weird like that..

do know, that people look at it and appreciate it. i do atleast :nice:

I can relate to the wife not noticing work on the car. my wife HATES my car. I think her last comment was that she hates riding in it because it smells like exhaust fumes & 21 year old stale farts lol. I did have a bad exhaust leak the last time she was in it but, As for that last part, I guess she was just in the mood to be mean lol.

anyone who cant appreciate the work going into it, doesnt belong commenting on it in the first place.

You think I should tell this to my wife?

some awesome fabrication going into that car. i wish i had half the skill. nice project man, i read all the threads on here but don't necessarly post alot. i guess im weird like that..

do know, that people look at it and appreciate it. i do atleast :nice:

Thanks as always

I can relate to the wife not noticing work on the car. my wife HATES my car. I think her last comment was that she hates riding in it because it smells like exhaust fumes & 21 year old stale farts lol. I did have a bad exhaust leak the last time she was in it but, As for that last part, I guess she was just in the mood to be mean lol.

Yeah well, once the car started getting "not pretty" she sees it as just getting "more ugly". There is no female reference standard for increasing levels of ugly.
Now once it's painted, it'll be "it's a beautiful car" but that is a long way off.:nonono:

mabye it smells like exhaust in the car because your exhaust is in the car. Just a hunch

The exhaust I was speaking of was the old H pipe the guy I bought the car from had on it. Once I did the 3" X pipe, that went away. It has not returned because of the turbo in the car. She just doesn't like the car. Sorry to clear that up on your thread Mike.

Primer starts

Well I just had to see the thing (at least one side) in primer.

But first I had one last fabrication hurdle to clear. The front lower valance and the front fenders don't like each other at the bottom. The 68 lower valance is curved, and the lower fender w/o the extension is concave.

mustangengineswap126.jpg

There is a significant mismatch and the thing is full of holes for the fender extension.
mustangengineswap127.jpg

Now the hacker in me wanted to fill the damn thing w/ filler. And after arguing w/ Mr Hyde, the good Dr jeckyll prevailed.

So I cut the front edge and "convinced" it to follow the same radius.

mustangengineswap122.jpg

(I know, it's from the other side, but I didn't take any pictures of the side before I started changing things.)

After the requisite 50 lbs of bondo, and after sanding 48 lbs off, it looks something like this finished.
mustangengineswap129.jpg

mustangengineswap128.jpg

So now for the primer part.

The dog wanted to help, but I knew he'd be all thumbs. So I told him to go upstairs and sit on the couch and watch one of his damn dog shows.

mustangengineswap121.jpg

Kodi meet everyone,.....Everyone, Kodi

Cheap Epoxy primer sucks! It took me about two hours to wet sand off the hardened concrete. I will not be spraying coat #2 with this junk, and will be investing in a 2k poly to finish.

For those of you that don't know. There will be no body side molding on this car. I filled it. In it's place will go a 69 mach 1 factory stripe.
So if you ever imagined what you car looks like w/ that channel filled in it looks like this.

mustangengineswap132.jpg

mustangengineswap130.jpg

mustangengineswap131.jpg

I know that the light in the garage never shows any detail, but I've managed to get the quarter pretty OEM looking.

I'm gonna go get that 2k now. Enjoy.

The side molding channel, did you fill it in with bond or weld metal in the channel? I have no side molding either & would like to fill that channel in too. Car is looking Awesome!

There's no "F"n way I was gonna weld a strip of metal in the middle, down the length of a long panel like a door. I would never get it straight again.
It has been "filled":D

You asked for it,...You got it.

The collective here must've been working some sort of Vulcan mind meld on me.

Of the two bitches I get about the car, one is the digital gauges, the other is the hood scoop.

I've agreed w/ everybody that it is huge. But it has been cut and fit, and there are four holes currently in the hood that the studs stick through.

I've always said that after it's painted, I'd make changes accordingly if it didn't "shrink" a little once it was the same flat black that the hood will be.

Then I got to thinkin'. There would be no way in hell that I'd change that thing after it was painted,knowing that I'd more than likely have to fill and patch the holes that are there now.

So instead of getting the primer,....

I cut the hood scoop.
mustangengineswap133.jpg

Using duct tape as my 2" guide I removed 2" from the damn thing.
mustangengineswap136.jpg

You can see that I now have two big assed holes to weld shut.

mustangengineswap135.jpg

But, even after cutting two inches off there is still plenty of room for the air cleaner after I get the 1" spacer under the carb.

Here it is w/o the spacer

mustangengineswap134.jpg

Man, Im in awe. I love the work you are doing on that car, and I think you will be glad you went ahead and chopped down the scoop. Now just do something about those damn gauges. :D

Trust me, I wouldn't have cut that scoop if it didn't bug me as well.

The alternative to the gauges is obviously gonna be the requisite Auto meter 5" tach/ speedo. They will not be making any cameo until I have the rest of the car finished, and I "inherit" the funds and the freedom to use the 68 dash and console That I plan to put in there to hold them.:)