Finally! A valid TFS-R and TFS Box R intake dyno comparison on a street stroker.

Right, I know my cam & intake are doing a serious limitation to what theses heads can potentially do. I mean 320rwtq Ecam pushing "P" heads is begging for more air/lift :rlaugh:
So i read your entire build last night and loved how you thought outside the box for your build. I had limited funds on my build at the time but had a vision of a high compression/small cam build and surprised a sh!t ton of folks too :nice: My funds are limited with this DD so i cannot do any type of cam up grade but I may be able to add more air flow, maybe adding an intake. If I were to get a TFS R, I could be ready for future upgrade when building another motor. Think my Ecam could blossom even further??

Last I checked, a cam costs about half as much as an intake. Granted, you'll have to buy a couple more gaskets with a cam swap than you would an intake, but it's a moot point really. I don't like to give cam suggestions, but I'll gladly remind you that the E-cam was entry level technology back in the 90s... :D It's caveman by today's standards! You're much better off with something else in that regard.

Really though, we're talking incremental gains. If you want to do something that makes a noticeable performance jump in your car, you should be investigating boost and/or more displacement! :nice:

Ok so im off the R intake, just not spinning past 5800-6000 on the streets anyways and i know the ecam is outta breath there anyways. And i need all the rwtrq i can get with my heavy DD on the streets.

Read my thread again! It was all about dispelling the myth that big parts hurt torque and street-ability. In 80-degree weather, and just rolling into the throttle in 2nd gear, my car will haze the tires staring around 4000 RPM and continue to do so until the computer cuts fuel at 6600 RPM. My car has no problems with torque anywhere in the curve, and it's propensity to sing at the top of the tach just makes it even more fun to drive.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

All I can tell you is that I used motor mounts that brought the motor down, and I have a 2.5" kaenen cowl hood. It barely fits. That's with an 8.2" decked 302. The RPMII would fit under a stocker with a 302. With a 351 and a TFS R, you'll need plenty of room, but I have no idea which hood the stalker is, and unfortunately don't have time to do the research. Hopefully someone else here has tried. Good luck!

All I can tell you is that I used motor mounts that brought the motor down, and I have a 2.5" kaenen cowl hood. It barely fits. That's with an 8.2" decked 302. The RPMII would fit under a stocker with a 302. With a 351 and a TFS R, you'll need plenty of room, but I have no idea which hood the stalker is, and unfortunately don't have time to do the research. Hopefully someone else here has tried. Good luck!
Yeah it's the cervini's stalker ram air hood and a 2 to 2 1/2 raise. The rpm 2 is about 5/8 inches shorter than the box R and I like the rpm 2 on my 302 so I may just go with the 351 one. If I have to notch the hood where it's hitting I'll do that. And I don't Wana bring the motor down and have LT ground hithing issues

ok so I have finally made some headway with what I want to do. I will have 3 cars in a few days when my 94 cobra arrives and that's including the wrecked 95 ( avatar pic).

I have a situation where I was first concentrating on the 400 W I'm going to build and deciding which intake to get. I did narrow it down to the Box R or an elbow intake converted EFI. My boy with his 408 told me the TFS R was too small for his combo and he switched to the Box and picked up 35 hp.

Now my situation is I've decided I want a 331 as well so I'll build that first. Since I have a wrecked 302 with a Performer rpm 2 and TW 170 cc's, I was just going to use those on the 331 and may still do if I don't sell the entire 302 motor or the heads and intake. I'm thinking to go with AFR 185s or a TF equivalent head to that and either another Rpm 2 or the TFS R. I'll have to research which intake would make more sense with my combo. And the car will be just a nice weekend driving streetcar, No track, matter of fact both cars will be. And also NA for both. May drive a few times a week sometimes. I'll eventually have 2 stangs, maybe 3 if I get the Termi after I build the 400. So yes decisions decisions. I did also decide that I'd live with the 331 setup using the heads and intake on my 302 as the 400 W should achieve 500 hp at least.

I'll be making a post on the fb groups maybe tomorrow with the engine pics and a video of the car running even as it's wrecked in the rear. If someone buys the motor or just the heads and intake, then I'll definitely get the AFR 185s or TF equivalent and then another intake for the 331.

Not really, man. I didn't see any question in there and it sounds like you're on the right track. RPM II is a good intake for a 331. I have a Box R on my 331 with AFR 205s. So, obviously I think highly of that intake. The Systemax II isn't a bad choice either, but all three could use a little massaging to get the right port alignment.

Not really, man. I didn't see any question in there and it sounds like you're on the right track. RPM II is a good intake for a 331. I have a Box R on my 331 with AFR 205s. So, obviously I think highly of that intake. The Systemax II isn't a bad choice either, but all three could use a little massaging to get the right port alignment.
Okay cool sounds good. Yeah if I don't sell my motor or the heads and intake I'm going to just use the 302 parts and which is the intake RPM to and tf1 70s. Going to also build a 400 Windsor and I'm leaning toward the elbow setup with a Victor lower

Reactions: 1 user