Finally driving the GT again

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I finally got the GT back. About 3 weeks ago, I went to grab 2nd and it stayed permanently in first gear. There is a steel retainer above the shift fork which aparently broke. It showed some nice fatigue beach marks.

I pulled the T45 out and sent it to a local shop for a rebuild. I ordered a rebuild kit from hanlon, so now I have upgraded syncros, new bearings and 'improved' shift forks. Let me tell you, the old syncros were getting pretty tired at 185k miles! I also installed a ram HDX clutch which I really like so far. The previous stock replacement clutch had seen better days... it had +90k miles and had been overheated several times to the point of slipping, yet it was still holding on.

Yesterday, I finished putting the transmission back in place and buttoning everything up and today, I put just shy of 400 miles on her. I didn't get to beat on it yet, as I want to seat the clutch well, but she drives nice. Just a few small exhaust issues to work out (a leaking Hpipe flange gasket and a rattle).

I've been daily driving the 2.3 for all 3 weeks. I think that car saw as many miles in the last 3 weeks as it had for the previous 3 years combined. lol. It has been 'interesting' daily driving the 2.3 on E85 with no power steering or heat and some obvious issues in the tune. Now, to let it return to it's native habitat, the 1/4 mile. :D

• Sponsors (?)

I remember that feeling. I lost my car for 6 months after an accident and when I got it back, I drove it everywhere all day long. I didn't want to stop.

I just got my car back lat Wednesday after being gone for a week (LT, exhaust, etc. install) and after just about 15 minutes of driving it home, I blew a plug out of the head and its gone for an extended amount of time. Im already beginning to go through withdrawals :(

That's awesome man! I know how you feel about not having the car to drive for a while. Heck, my car was down for over a week back when I installed the supercharger. Let me tell you, when I got it back after the tune....the combination of not having driven it for a week....and having an extra 100+ horsepower from the last time I did drive it.....you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a month! :D

I remember that feeling. I lost my car for 6 months after an accident and when I got it back, I drove it everywhere all day long. I didn't want to stop.

I just got my car back lat Wednesday after being gone for a week (LT, exhaust, etc. install) and after just about 15 minutes of driving it home, I blew a plug out of the head and its gone for an extended amount of time. Im already beginning to go through withdrawals :(

I'm with ya, seems like my car is magnet for all the bad drivers in the world.

1. Temp sensor blew out, (my fault). 1 week gone.

2. Old lady causes a 3 car rear end collision, scratched the heck out my bumper, no down time.

3. Deuch bag signals to me its safe to cross a blind road, Car is T-boned, blows out my rear diff housing, down time, 3 months, plus the insurance rep was an idiot, pissed off the mechanics so car started to fail from yard car parts. Add another 3-4 months, because had to call another insurance rep whom of which told went ahead and got me a complete rebuild for the rear end housing.

4. Dropped bolt in engine, blew engine, down time 1 month.

5. Spark plug blow out, down time a week.

LOL, we all need a :grouphug:.

MN FTL... I have to wait 4-6 months each year while she sits in the garage gathering dust waiting for winter to pass.

There is no better feeling though than pulling her out for the first time in the spring. Something about watching the sun slowly creep across her shiny black body is freaking awesome! It's kind of cool in a way because I fall in love with my car over and over again since I have to wait so long to drive it each year.