Finally dynoed my GT40P 300rwhp combo!!

Killer95Stang

Aug 7, 2003
Covina, CA
well... it has been a long project trying to hit 300rwhp with "Junkyard" GT40P heads.. but today I finally reached my goal... 308rwhp 315tq.. while floating valves at 5700-5800rpm (more on this later)... I'm gonna be honest with you.. you aren't going to make this power without doing some work to the heads.. porting, milling, ect... plus I doubt you can do it with an off the shelf cam, that still passes smog... But.. you can do it for half the price of AFR/ Trickflow type combo.. and still have a car that idles.. doesn't stall.. and has plenty of power for everyday type driving...

The cam itself was a custom, and fairly aggressive.. so some experimentation was needed to get the right balance of spring pressure, that will give reliability, and still give you the rpm you want... that is why I will be switching to some new beehives, with Titanium retainers for safety... besides, I'll probably pick up a few peak hp, and some peace of mind.....

I'll post a video of the dyno run, once I find someone to host it...

Well... here goes...
Dyno%20Day%20010.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

holy crap man!! i only dynoed 275!!! Please tell me exactly what you did? I am really interested in how you were able to make so much more power than me! I used all stock parts, gt40p's with an off-the shelf crane 2031, and an explorer intake. I wonder.......how much was your combo.....and wow! finally someone got 300rwhp!!!!!+

cool, congradualations i guess ill say, really, are u sure this can be done for half the price of your aluminem head combo because i also if not mistaken remember u having some bottom end work done also to raise the compression(pistons?)

And where is S.T motorsports......never heard of it

Here's the run down... The shortblock was balanced forged bottom end.. stock compression ratio.. Heads.. I've had them for 3 years.... but shouldn't cost more than $200 bare.. The rest of the parts like gaskets ect.. you still need to buy, so they aren't added to my half price claim...
Exhaust.. well.. I'm using longtubes, and full exhaust... I'm not saying that the AFR / Trickflow combo's aren't better, because you can gain more power with those... but for my intentions.. this was the cheapest way to reach my goals... Plus.. most people can be more resourceful, and pay less for items than I did...

Here's the major parts...
Porting by Neil Erickson = $350
Milling 0.030"= $50
valvetrain = $275 with stainless valves
Custom cam = $300
Used Edel RPM intake (ebay) = $350 shipped

So.. for $1250-$1400.. you can get all the main parts...

ST Motorsports is in San Bernadino.. its quite a drive.. but the owner is a real good guy.. plus he is a smart tuner... They were having a dyno day, so a few of made the trek to the 909...

nice job man, i am curious what headers you used, i was thinking maybe you got away with a set of rg. ones since you didn't factory that into cost....

I am prolly gonna get rid of my ported e7's before long, still debating on whether or not to go for gt40p's soon, or wait a lil longer and do the afr's

if you possibly could i am pretty curious to know what the specs of that cam are...

jason

dont get the explorer intake. I have it, trust me. The top, as they test may as whell flow better than a cobra or a GT-40, BUT its the lower that sucks. I mean, physically when i was looking at my port sizes, the gt40p heads were literally 1/4 larger ALL THE WAY AROUND than the explorer intake. this is a HUGE bottleneck, and i believe why i only dyno'd ~270 RWHP. i KNOW my cam isnt the best, and would love some more specs on that custom cam above, but my biggest problem is that damn intake. Its strange that ford would take such good heads and add a smaller intake(mine is just how it was from ford, as i got a complete explorer engine)

mytight95 said:
nice job man, i am curious what headers you used, i was thinking maybe you got away with a set of rg. ones since you didn't factory that into cost....

I am prolly gonna get rid of my ported e7's before long, still debating on whether or not to go for gt40p's soon, or wait a lil longer and do the afr's

if you possibly could i am pretty curious to know what the specs of that cam are...

jason

I'm using normal run of the mill MAC ceramic coated LT's... They fit real well, and only require cutting 1/2" off of a sparkplug socket to remove the #6 plug... All the rest are an easy fit... oh yeah.. 90 degree boots help as well...