Finally figured out how to shift

I've bought a triax shifter and its been in the car a long time, but I've been having trouble doing my third gear shifts. The damn thing almost always grinds. So I haven't even been trying to shift fast anymore so it wont grind. Come to find out, I didn't have the clutch all the way in. Dont laugh at me lol. The cable clutch is kinda weird, and its pretty damn stiff to push in. Takes alot of getting used to. Especially coming from a 2.2L 4cyl Ford Probe. I could shift those awesome. But then I got the mustang and my driving skills just sucked. I think i've got it down pretty good now! :)

• Sponsors (?)

It would grind second sometimes too, but third gave me more trouble than anything. 4th and 5th i shifted normal, so it had no problems. And when I shifted normal into second and third i had no problems either. I think when I was gunning it, i would get carried away and not push the clutch in all the way

Turbo92PGT said:
It would grind second sometimes too, but third gave me more trouble than anything. 4th and 5th i shifted normal, so it had no problems. And when I shifted normal into second and third i had no problems either. I think when I was gunning it, i would get carried away and not push the clutch in all the way
when the engine is wound high it is much harder to push the clutch so the normal pressure we train ourselves to apply isn't quite enough.. :nice:

while we're on the subject of crappy shifting... what does "granny shifting" mean? I know... I know... I saw Vin Diesel say it in Fast and the Furious... :shrug: ... come on now. you know you saw it too! :D

Granny shifting is shifting slowly...

Double clutching is blipping the throttle between shifts, I think.
For cars that is not for trucks, for those who drive big rigs.

And power shifting, well, we all know that. Keeping the gas to the floor while shifting.

My girl has a volks and everytime I drive it, I can't help myself, I just keep laughing...

Double clutching is when you shift from 1st to 2nd, you use the clutch twice to go into the next gear, like this: push in clutch and pull the shifter from 1st to neutral, release clutch, then push clutch in and shift to 2nd and release clutch. I've heard the old old cars had to be shifted that way before synchronizers.

Double clutching is basically what brianmef just said, but it's for downshifting, not upshifting. Before pushing the clutch in for the second time, you would tap the throttle to match RPMs.

The Fast and the Furious was written by a bunch of retards, don't listen to it.

I believe there are two accepted definitions for "double clutching"... one w/ downshifting like gino said (heel and toe) and my dad used to have to "double clutch" his Semi back in the day, somewhat like brianmef outlined... I'll have to ask him about it again since I was too young the first time he told me.

I was curious about that stuff too guys. Like in the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen. Im sure you are all familiar with that classic. You can hear him double clutching. I was watching with my Dad one time, and he mentioned that. That sounds pretty hard. Its like pushing in the clutch, shifting to neutral, pushing the clutch in again to put it into second and so on.

You are right on that Brian, and Gino GT also for downshifting huh?

Has anyone heard benefits of doing that on today's Stangs? does that help lengthen life of the clutch etc? :shrug:

And with Fast and F. that granny shifting is just ol Vin trying to use cool speak, talking about taking forever to shift normal. I was curious about that one too.

Now that i think about it, he says your granny shifting and not double clutching like you should. pardon me with this novel post too :)

matching rpms while downshifting is supposed to lengthen the life of your clutch due to lessened synchronizer wear. the less work you make synchronizer do to match the rpms of the engine and drivetrain, the better.