Finally Got Back to the Track; HD vids!

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
Yup, finally got back to the track, first time since October. I went down to Fayetteville Motorsports Park, which is the track that I had bad luck with a while back. DA was right at 0 feet. I killed the reaction times! Averaged .045.

My best run:
RT: .0442
60': 1.91
330: 5.37
1/8: 8.22
Trap: 86.94
1/4: 12.78
Trap: 106.96

YouTube - My 98 GT and Joe's Bullitt

Considering that I didn't have my lighter front tires (~12 pounds unsprung weight), we had a headwind of about 10 mph, I had some timing pulled and fuel added because of a detonation problem on the previous runs, my 60' was down almost a tenth, and that it was Fayetteville, I was pretty happy with my time considering my previous best was 12.65 with none of those issues.

I did decide that I'm not going back to that track again. :notnice: Although my times were actually decent this time, the folks running it pissed me off enough that I'll stick to other, nicer tracks in the area. I got to run 5 times over 6 hours, and that was me being in line the whole time. Thing was, there wasn't even a hundred cars there. They were just really slow about running cars through. They made me run one time with water on the track. I was told that "it wasn't that much" and that "it wouldn't affect my street car." :bs: That really pissed me off. And I got cussed out for a friend wanting to ride with me. I don't understand why 8 second drag cars can run with no tech inspection, but passengers can't ride in 14 second street cars. :nonono: I'll stick to Rockingham, Piedmont, and OBX from here on.

Anyways, here's a few other videos I got. Be sure to watch in HD!

This one is of me running a Kenne Bell SRT-8 Challenger. That car was definitely moving on out. I cut a .06 light on this one. And in the video, you can see I pulled the one-tire-fire of shame....:nonono: My car has always pulled both in the past. I guess this just gives me an excuse to rebuild the LSD and put in 3.73s. :D
YouTube - Up Against a Kenne Bell SRT-8 Challenger

This is of me running a Maxima. .03 RT!
YouTube - Me v. Nissan

And here's one of a Fox losing it and almost taking another car out with him. I'm sure both of them changed their underwear on the return road.
YouTube - A Fast Nissan Almost Getting Taken Out By a Fox

I've got a ton more videos, but I'm trying to compile them all into one video first. Hopefully get it up sometime.

• Sponsors (?)

I finally got the chance to watch the videos. Looks like great fun.

That fox loosing it is really scary. He was launched hard and straight and suddenly lost it! There had to be something break on the car because it looked like it hooked hard and solid before sending him sideways. Amazing he saved it though.

Yea, that was pretty scary. I was actually lined up beside him originally, but someone in the other lane didn't go. So I got to change lanes and run my buddy in the Bullitt.

I didn't talk to the guy, but I don't remember him running anymore that day. I'd definitely guess that he broke something. The guy in the Maxima posted up an incar video of that race, and the Fox left REALLY hard, no wheel spin. So something must have happened to turn him sideways.

That Maxima had me cracking up man lol

The guy in the fox looked like he ***** himself lol

Nice vids man. I enjoyed 'em. Ever go to Dunn / Benson?

Yea, he was cool as could be. Almost outrun a 2011 5.0. Were you actually there?

Dunn/Benson is the only track east of Greensboro I haven't been to. You normally head out that way?

Yea, he was cool as could be. Almost outrun a 2011 5.0. Were you actually there?

Dunn/Benson is the only track east of Greensboro I haven't been to. You normally head out that way?

No, i was laughing when the video came up. That thing sounded like a mad bee..

Yeah, I've been to Dunn / Benson a few times. I have a few friends who run down there (Mustangs, Novas, Camaros). They run bikes too which another one of my friends runs. It's an 1/8th mile though. I like riding my bike (04 GSXR 1000) down but haven't ran it yet.

Good runs, Will!

I watched those last night when you uploaded them. They are great quality. What video camera are you guys using?

I want to race you next:D

Not a big fan but I go a lot.

Sunday. Rockingham. Be there.

:D

I'm up for it anytime. You better go ahead and beat me within the next month or two. You might have a harder time come about May. rubhands

I want to see you or your brother's car run sometime. Send me a message next time you guys are heading to the track.

That's what I hear about Dunn/Benson. Kinda hit or miss. I'll have to head out one time and see for myself.

No, i was laughing when the video came up. That thing sounded like a mad bee..

Yeah, I've been to Dunn / Benson a few times. I have a few friends who run down there (Mustangs, Novas, Camaros). They run bikes too which another one of my friends runs. It's an 1/8th mile though. I like riding my bike (04 GSXR 1000) down but haven't ran it yet.

Haha, it sounded kinda bad, but it was very impressive. Minimal mods and he was in the 12s with a NA, full interior, FWD, V6.

You should ride down with the club here at State the next time we go. We have all sorts of cars in the club, but the last few times we've gone, it's been a bunch of Mustangs, lol.

Good runs, Will!

I watched those last night when you uploaded them. They are great quality. What video camera are you guys using?

Thanks, Mark! I'd hardly call them good runs, but it was definitely great to get back onto the track again. I'm hoping to go again this weekend as well.

I was using a Sony CX110. I'm also very impressed with it. Walmart had it on sale for $100 off the usual price, and it was the cheapest HD camcorder with a decent amount of zoom. Next time we go, it'll be on a tripod where it can really shine. We'll also be able to get down closer to the track with some better angles. I'm definitely hoping to get some good videos of my car next go round.

Also, I made a nice compilation of all the videos we took. However, it's 8 minutes long and 1.4 gigs, so it's taking quite some time to upload to Youtube. Probably be tomorrow morning before it gets up.

Sunday. Rockingham. Be there.

:D

I'm up for it anytime. You better go ahead and beat me within the next month or two. You might have a harder time come about May. rubhands

I want to see you or your brother's car run sometime. Send me a message next time you guys are heading to the track.

That's what I hear about Dunn/Benson. Kinda hit or miss. I'll have to head out one time and see for myself.

rubhands <--- hmmmm not liken that emoticon lol, new car maybe? Anyways today im getting my car dyno'd to see what the edddy intake does w/ 14lbs of boost:D Also my brother installing Patriot stage 2 heads, custom blower cams, the eddy intake, and a new bottom end on his car. We will sir, btw nice times! Wish my non pi was that fast when I owned one:nice:

rubhands <--- hmmmm not liken that emoticon lol, new car maybe? Anyways today im getting my car dyno'd to see what the edddy intake does w/ 14lbs of boost:D Also my brother installing Patriot stage 2 heads, custom blower cams, the eddy intake, and a new bottom end on his car. We will sir, btw nice times! Wish my non pi was that fast when I owned one:nice:

Nah, same car. As soon as the funds come around, there'll be 3.73s in it, along with 4 more pounds of boost and methanol. Should be good for deep, deep 12s.

Definitely post up the results of your dyno. Are you going to be at the dyno day at PCM next month? I'm going to be hitting the rollers again there. It's funny, March 19 of last year was the day it got tuned.

Nice runs!! I can't wait to get back to the track this spring.

Thanks man! I was so excited as well. I love good, fun track days.

Haha, it sounded kinda bad, but it was very impressive. Minimal mods and he was in the 12s with a NA, full interior, FWD, V6.

You should ride down with the club here at State the next time we go. We have all sorts of cars in the club, but the last few times we've gone, it's been a bunch of Mustangs, lol.

Damn, 12 second Maxima...

What is the name of the club? Let me know next time you guys go. I may take you up on that offer.

BTW nice compilation vid. Well edited and great quality. I still don't see how those bikes race with one wheel in the air the whole way. That is nuts.

Nah, same car. As soon as the funds come around, there'll be 3.73s in it, along with 4 more pounds of boost and methanol. Should be good for deep, deep 12s.

Definitely post up the results of your dyno. Are you going to be at the dyno day at PCM next month? I'm going to be hitting the rollers again there. It's funny, March 19 of last year was the day it got tuned.

Naw didnt make it to the dyno today...:nonono: Anyways I will be @ the dyno day got some crazy stuff planned for my bro and I turbo cars..:D BTW loved the video:nice::nice:

Thanks for the compliments guys! I was kinda excited about having a bunch of good quality HD videos from the track that I could throw together like that. Hopefully there'll be many more this year.

3.73s, 4 lbs of boost, meth, and a 3500 stall and you'll be set

Great minds think alike. :D

What is the name of the club? Let me know next time you guys go. I may take you up on that offer.

It's the Wolfpack Auto Racing Club, formerly the Wolfpack Drag Strip Club. It's just a bunch of really cool guys from State with all different kinds of cars and setups that love racing cars. Quite an awesome group to hang out with.

I'm possibly going to Rockingham this weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. I don't know how many of the other guys will go as well, but I'll shoot you a note as soon as I know for sure.

Naw didnt make it to the dyno today...:nonono: Anyways I will be @ the dyno day got some crazy stuff planned for my bro and I turbo cars..:D BTW loved the video:nice::nice:

Oh boy. I'm ready for March 19 to roll around.

And BTW, you weren't at the Cookout in Raleigh around 11:30 tonight were you? Me and some guy in a black New Edge GT just like yours kinda got in an exhaust war....in the drive through....lol.

A 3,600rpm stall speed torque converter, 15" drag rims all around w/ a sticky tire, and some weight reduction and hello low 12’s.

NPI/ positive displacement blower specific cams would definitely bring up that MPH with the added HP.

A 3,600rpm stall speed torque converter, 15" drag rims all around w/ a sticky tire, and some weight reduction and hello low 12’s.

NPI/ positive displacement blower specific cams would definitely bring up that MPH with the added HP.

Yea, I'm thinking that as well, although it'll probably be a little later down the road. In the near future, it'll probably be gears and possibly more boost/methanol.

My overall plan right now is to keep the car very driveable, as it is my DD. After a while, when I have another DD (probably a new 5.0), I might go a little crazy and have the 98 as a street/strip car. Maybe see how much I can get out of the stock NPI heads or something like that.