Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

DudeStang

Nuts fell off while driving
Apr 30, 2017
Really the only reason to get that is if you have a supercharger kit that requires stock belt routing, otherwise it’s another potential failure down the road.

Short belt it and reroute
Thanks!

Caster / camber plates have way more alignment ability than the factory plate. You can adjust the camber back out with drilling out the factory rivets and moving the strut plate or using camber bolts in the strut where it bolts to the spindle. The correct and easiest way would be to do it right the first time and get good aftermarket plates. I use UPR but the best is Maximum.
Thanks. Yeah I kind of figured this would be the answer based on other internet sleuthing but was secretly hoping otherwise so I wouldn’t have to buy one more thing, lol. I’m now trying to decide between finishing my stereo setup, getting tires for the pony wheels, or finishing the suspension.

• Sponsors(?)

DudeStang

Apr 30, 2017
The suspension option was decided against (for now) when I failed to capitalize on the LMR Halloween sale. That’s fine, I suppose. I want to think it through more anyways. I want to lower the car but don’t want it to be I’m practically low. I also want to replace the front LCAs at the same time, but need to decide if I’m ok with OEM replacements or if I want to do a slight upgrade.

In other news, I did finish upgrading the lighting in my garage and did a little comparison video between the two different light setups I used:

View: https://youtu.be/fiZSXv4sP8w

I’m also happy to have the red body moulding stripe back in place. It isn’t perfect but it looks a lot better than just having red stripes on the doors.
E659B5EB-D912-44DD-8AB7-A3C89B837FA8.jpeg

I need to get the lettering in on the rear bumper cover and fix the paint around the reverse light on the passenger side.
84EFCE16-EFEE-4D1A-9BE7-527DEC733C7F.jpeg
EBF3D19A-8AFB-496D-A6E3-E6029FC65846.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

DudeStang

Apr 30, 2017
That car is looking good.
Thanks man. I am pretty happy with how it looks from 10 feet away or so, lol.

Just realized that my garage light comparison video is super over exposed - something to do with transferring the video from my phone to Adobe. Going to try and get that fixed soon and re-uploaded.

In the meanwhile, here’s a new fast food review if anyone is bored:
View: https://youtu.be/sPkOT89pPh4

This increasingly cold weather in VA + work being too busy lately has not made for much progress of late on my Fox. I really want to put the pony wheels on but I’m trying to make myself wait until the spring to buy some summer tires for those wheels rather than buying another set of all seasons (the turbine wheels I bought the car with have all season tires that were brand new when I got the car).

Edit: here’s the updated/fixed video of the garage light comparison

View: https://youtu.be/fiZSXv4sP8w

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DudeStang

Apr 30, 2017
Just got a quote from another shop on doing the rear end gears. This one is a shop in Maryland that has done work on my other Mustang before (never had any complaints really). They quoted me $975 to do the ring and pinion, not including parts, gear oil, etc.

From what I can gather, I’m looking at around $1,250 total to have this shop do the gears, without adding a new differential cover. This shop is a lot further away so I would also have to account for gas and the time to get there and back.

The other shop, which is closer, quoted me $950 for just the labor.

I usually try not to complain about prices for skilled labor but just wanted to ask again since this is the second shop I got a quote from. Does this seem to be the new norm? The only shops I’ve found that will actually do a ring and pinion install have both given me similar price quotes. The rest of the shops I’ve called either don’t work on cars as old as Fox Mustangs or just don’t do read end gears.

Willybill32

But at least it's tight!
Jul 16, 2019
Lexington, KY
Just got a quote from another shop on doing the rear end gears. This one is a shop in Maryland that has done work on my other Mustang before (never had any complaints really). They quoted me $975 to do the ring and pinion, not including parts, gear oil, etc.

From what I can gather, I’m looking at around $1,250 total to have this shop do the gears, without adding a new differential cover. This shop is a lot further away so I would also have to account for gas and the time to get there and back.

The other shop, which is closer, quoted me $950 for just the labor.

I usually try not to complain about prices for skilled labor but just wanted to ask again since this is the second shop I got a quote from. Does this seem to be the new norm? The only shops I’ve found that will actually do a ring and pinion install have both given me similar price quotes. The rest of the shops I’ve called either don’t work on cars as old as Fox Mustangs or just don’t do read end gears.
I had a local shop (Lexington, KY) change my 2.73 to 3.55 last year. I supplied the 3.55 ring and pinion and they installed it for $500. He said the bearings were good, so they weren’t replaced.

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I paid $250 plus the gears……20 years ago :runaway:

Edit: damn, I still have the receipts. Labor was $175
323FF2E8-2FBC-42EE-867E-09F21F5543CB.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Surprised

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
Jul 12, 2017
I had a gear and clutch shop install my 3.73’s for $500 five or six years ago.

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
You need to find a Master Mechanic that works on lots of Mustangs in your year range. The type of guy that knows them like the back of his hand. He might even be within 20 minutes of your house and might offer beverages while you wait to drive your car home the same day.

No idea where you'd find that guy :thinking:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mustang5L5

Put lubricant all over the balls
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Too bad more of us SN’ers didn’t live closer to each other. That would be one hell of a BBQ.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users