Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Made a little bit of progress on cleaning the fuel tank and the old pad residue.

Before
93F3FC68-9AB8-4EAA-B174-1EF301E534B7.jpeg

Now
C0E39E88-34A7-4B46-88DE-C81FD164A1ED.jpeg

Drained the old diff fluid last night and started working on cleaning the old gasket material off.
01A49D65-A313-48DD-9F4F-5180844D4CC7.jpeg
A767DD9E-3C98-4AB2-8446-74DFABA3FB43.jpeg

Cleaning the material off the diff cover itself was a long process and I eventually had to stop and get some dinner before bed. Hoping to finish and get the diff cover back on and fluid added tonight. Man, it can’t be stated enough how bad the diff fluid stinks.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Made a little bit of progress on cleaning the fuel tank and the old pad residue.

Before
93F3FC68-9AB8-4EAA-B174-1EF301E534B7.jpeg

Now
C0E39E88-34A7-4B46-88DE-C81FD164A1ED.jpeg

Drained the old diff fluid last night and started working on cleaning the old gasket material off.
01A49D65-A313-48DD-9F4F-5180844D4CC7.jpeg
A767DD9E-3C98-4AB2-8446-74DFABA3FB43.jpeg

Cleaning the material off the diff cover itself was a long process and I eventually had to stop and get some dinner before bed. Hoping to finish and get the diff cover back on and fluid added tonight. Man, it can’t be stated enough how bad the diff fluid stinks.
Yep, that stuff does stink. Coming along huh?

When I converted to rear disc last winter I seriously considered getting a diff cover with drain / fill plugs,
but decided to spend money elsewhere.
As I was cleaning the diff cover last night, I was thinking the exact same thing...but just because of the short term benefit of not having to scrape off gasket residue, lol.

To clean those covers up I use a wire wheel or a nyloc disc on a drill. Cleans it up down to fresh shiny metal quickly.

That diff fluid is how I got my CT.

• Useful
So today I put the fuel tank back in...connected everything, made sure everything fit the way it’s supposed to. Then I drove the car to the gas station and put the pump in. I looked away for half a second and gas started overflowing like crazy. I tried filling a little bit at a time slowly, and it started to do the same thing. I checked under the car (as best I could being at the gas station) and didn’t see anything leaking from the filler neck or grommet.

Any idea what could be causing this? I installed a new filler neck, grommet, and vapor valve seal, along with new pads before putting the tank back in.

When I had my tank out, I didn’t fully seat the lock ring where the pump goes in, and I had the same type issue at the gas station. Except mine leaked from the top of the tank...... all the way home....and continued in the driveway until I got the tank dropped back down to tighten it. That was a fun day! :doh:

• Surprised
When I had my tank out, I didn’t fully seat the lock ring where the pump goes in, and I had the same type issue at the gas station. Except mine leaked from the top of the tank...... all the way home....and continued in the driveway until I got the tank dropped back down to tighten it. That was a fun day! :doh:
I felt pretty confident I fully seated the lock ring. No leaking other than the initial leak from putting gas in. The tank had maybe a gallon or two in it and I only put another gallon in. I wanted to get the the car back to the house to see if I could figure out what is wrong.

The filler tube has a sort of a baffle, for lack of a better word, in it. Maybe that got bent and is slowing the flow?
Are you talking about this?
C02EE9C0-1D82-4039-A329-179631D8DC82.jpeg
The one on the new filler neck looked fine before I installed it but I could try to pull it out again to double check.

I felt pretty confident I fully seated the lock ring. No leaking other than the initial leak from putting gas in. The tank had maybe a gallon or two in it and I only put another gallon in. I wanted to get the the car back to the house to see if I could figure out what is wrong.

Are you talking about this?
C02EE9C0-1D82-4039-A329-179631D8DC82.jpeg
The one on the new filler neck looked fine before I installed it but I could try to pull it out again to double check.
Yes, that’s the piece I was referring to.