Progress Thread Finally got my first Fox Body - 1988 GT

Good to hear it all worked out. Take it a little easy. The drive back probably helped a ton breaking in the gears.

I didn't even see the post about the storm. It was crazy. We pulled through though.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Did you keep the old gears?
I didn’t specifically ask for them so unless they are in the hatch, I don’t think I have them.
50/50 chance on the rear main seal. Next time I'm getting a sleeve.
Seems like it didn’t do the trick, unfortunately. Just checked under the car after running some errands and there is oil still steadily dripping from around where the transmission meets the engine and oil on the x pipe is creating a bit of smoke along with a burning smell.

Also, when I checked the oil before turning the car on today, it was alarmingly low. I’m not sure if this was due to the car leaking oil on the drive home or if the shop just didn’t put enough oil back in after replacing the RMS (or maybe both).

There was some gunk in the oil filler cap area when I added oil. I understand (based on some quick searches) that this could be oil-water emulsion that can be a result of driving the car short distances in cold winter conditions(?). I plan to check the coolant level when the car cools down.
A2FFACD8-18AA-4B40-897C-DB80D849954A.jpeg 53AEBFA7-B4A4-4711-8A45-68B52D529985.jpeg

I’m trying not to assume the worst about all of the above. Other than the burning/smoke from the oil leaking, the car seems to be running OK.

I didn’t specifically ask for them so unless they are in the hatch, I don’t think I have them.

Seems like it didn’t do the trick, unfortunately. Just checked under the car after running some errands and there is oil still steadily dripping from around where the transmission meets the engine and oil on the x pipe is creating a bit of smoke along with a burning smell.

Also, when I checked the oil before turning the car on today, it was alarmingly low. I’m not sure if this was due to the car leaking oil on the drive home or if the shop just didn’t put enough oil back in after replacing the RMS (or maybe both).

There was some gunk in the oil filler cap area when I added oil. I understand (based on some quick searches) that this could be oil-water emulsion that can be a result of driving the car short distances in cold winter conditions(?). I plan to check the coolant level when the car cools down.
A2FFACD8-18AA-4B40-897C-DB80D849954A.jpeg 53AEBFA7-B4A4-4711-8A45-68B52D529985.jpeg

I’m trying not to assume the worst about all of the above. Other than the burning/smoke from the oil leaking, the car seems to be running OK.
Could it be oil running down from the lower intake?

You better change your oil, and get a good look at it. I'm no master mechanic, but that emulsion would concern me. It's your car, and I'm nervous about it. I have read too many posts with water in the oil. The rear main seal thing is depressing. I did mine when I did a clutch, and it started dripping right away. Same thing with the burning smell and clutch slipping at times.

Could it be oil running down from the lower intake?
I guess that’s possible. I also read it could be from the back of the oil pan gasket. I really need a lift and a transmission jack…and a bigger garage while we’re at it.

You better change your oil, and get a good look at it. I'm no master mechanic, but that emulsion would concern me. It's your car, and I'm nervous about it. I have read too many posts with water in the oil. The rear main seal thing is depressing. I did mine when I did a clutch, and it started dripping right away. Same thing with the burning smell and clutch slipping at times.
I added new oil when I saw it was really low. I didn’t see any emulsion on the dipstick (just checked again). There’s no gunk or film in the oil that’s dripped into the catch pan since I got back from running errands. Still seems a little too warm to check the coolant but will do that and check oil again in an hour or two.

Don't stress the gunk on the bottom of the oil fill cap, now the rms still leaking would drive me bat sh#t. I don't remember confirmation but the bolt holes for the flywheel are open to the oil pan, can anyone confirm?
The rear of the intake is possibility too.

In cold weather it's like condensation. Normal from sitting in the cold after being hot.

I bad PCV will make pressure push oil past the seals. The bolts for the flywheel do go through to the pan. They are supposed to have sealer on them.

There are several things back there that can leak to the same area. The valley behind the lower intake, rear of valve covers, oil galley plug above rear main seal, flywheel bolts, and the rear main seal.

These guys are no strangers to mustangs or other Ford cars and trucks. Unless it was a new guy that worked on your car, they should have known about the bolts. Before taking it back look behind the intake and make sure the leak isn't from up top. Lay some cardboard under the car and spray brake parts cleaner back there and clean everything up. Drive the car around and try to locate it. They also sell UV dye detector pretty cheap at the parts store that can be added to the oil. The yellow glasses and the UV flashlight are near the AC stuff.

Good thing you have a warranty. It's awesome to have in a case like this. Take pictures of the oil leak and the back of the intake and valve covers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Checked the oil again today and the level was fine. It doesn’t seem to be leaking much, if at all, when the car is just sitting. I started the car and let it run for a few minutes. Looked underneath and noticed what appears to be an exhaust leak around where the x pipe connects with the cat back (green arrow below). It was ridiculously cold today so I couldn’t really get under the car. I can’t tell if it’s loose or damaged hardware or what. Will try to take a closer look when it’s less cold.

2C7B662F-4D2E-48D8-840C-3417812884AB.jpeg

I still haven’t got a really good look behind the intake manifold but will try to do that as well soon. We got snow again today though fortunately it wasn’t as bad as the storm last week.

Someone on another forum said that since my car is a manual, it could be a worn crankshaft thrust bearing. I don’t know enough about engines to know if that seems like a reasonable possibility?

Last edited:
There's another mustang forum?????
I guess there's room for two :shrug: I can't be the only one to dool out bad advice :nice:
I doubt it's a thrust bearing that is making it leak. Don't ask me why, just a feeling.
As for the exhaust, I use red high temp stuff from permatex, I smear some on the raised part of the ball socket, make sure the socket side has no dents, you should not have to torque the fasteners to the point of bending the brackets. From the picture it looks not to be sagging.

There's another mustang forum?????
I guess there's room for two :shrug: I can't be the only one to dool out bad advice :nice:
I doubt it's a thrust bearing that is making it leak. Don't ask me why, just a feeling.
As for the exhaust, I use red high temp stuff from permatex, I smear some on the raised part of the ball socket, make sure the socket side has no dents, you should not have to torque the fasteners to the point of bending the brackets. From the picture it looks not to be sagging.
Of all the other Mustang forums, none of them are close to as active as the Fox forums on Stang net. There’s still occasional posting on a few others.

The freezing cold continues to prevent me from doing any further examination under the Fox. I want to at least try to get the exhaust leak sorted out soon but it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting any random warm weather in the next week. :confused: I really need a garage with heat and insulation.

I did get an opportunity to drive a first gen Mustang for the first time over the weekend though. This is a 1966 that belongs to a friend.
44F9579B-6A2E-4016-9598-BB25CB5F2A45.jpeg

Obviously very different experience compared to driving either of my Mustangs but it was still fun and interesting. The color looks even better in person.

View: https://youtu.be/YlJylwnLIMg

Reactions: 3 users
Here’s a couple more pics of where the exhaust is leaking (driver side). In the first pic, which is a screenshot from a recording, you can see fluid coming out.
DE5D8CA0-7648-4D49-B17D-C079FD42584B.jpeg
ED09CBA8-28CC-4BE2-B969-3CB64CE5172C.jpeg

The passenger side didn’t appear to be leaking at all but once I get the car up on jack stands, I will check the hardware on both sides.
B59616B4-E87C-4AD0-B185-AA28642932CC.jpeg

Oil level was still fine but I haven’t driven the car. Just turned it on and let it run for a little while a couple of times. Will include video clips from under the car in my next vlog.

Snugging up the bolts should take care of that leak.
Yeah, that’s my thought after looking more closely. I’m hoping that will at least get the exhaust leak sorted out. Thanks.

It might be slightly warmer (emphasis on slightly) on Sunday so I might try to make some time then.

Anyways, I uploaded a new Vlog this morning with some rambling during the drive back from the shop, back in the garage, and it also includes clips from under the vehicle while it was running.

View: https://youtu.be/RZxS3NAJLw4

A friend sent me this and I couldn’t help but think that some Fox Mustang owners would also appreciate it.

Attachments

• 5816C112-719E-455F-BDB0-7AE6AB2245C8.jpeg
    5816C112-719E-455F-BDB0-7AE6AB2245C8.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 50
Not sure if anyone else picked this up while it was on Blipshift but here’s my latest addition to the t-shirt collection:
0347F096-0F77-4CF6-AC77-C8DBBD41E638.jpeg

I made a half a$$ed attempt at tightening the exhaust hardware to fix the leak but it didn’t do the trick. Will try again when it’s a little bit warmer out. More in my latest Vlog here:

View: https://youtu.be/b8Q191xwbfY

One thing I think I forgot to mention in the video is that after driving the car (for over 20 minutes this time), I didn’t see any more of that gunk in the engine oil filler neck. I was also happy to see that the car didn’t seem to lose a ton of oil during that drive.

My latest addition to the garage is this makeshift insulation - leftover carpet from having hardwood floors installed in part of the house. I don’t think it will be super warm but hopefully at least more comfortable than the concrete until I can figure out a longer term solution.

AD992076-3BAA-48F7-9514-569428861E11.jpeg
7727E84E-64B2-4A32-910B-A8424E4FFE5D.jpeg

Not sure if anyone else picked this up while it was on Blipshift but here’s my latest addition to the t-shirt collection:
0347F096-0F77-4CF6-AC77-C8DBBD41E638.jpeg

I made a half a$$ed attempt at tightening the exhaust hardware to fix the leak but it didn’t do the trick. Will try again when it’s a little bit warmer out. More in my latest Vlog here:

View: https://youtu.be/b8Q191xwbfY

One thing I think I forgot to mention in the video is that after driving the car (for over 20 minutes this time), I didn’t see any more of that gunk in the engine oil filler neck. I was also happy to see that the car didn’t seem to lose a ton of oil during that drive.

My latest addition to the garage is this makeshift insulation - leftover carpet from having hardwood floors installed in part of the house. I don’t think it will be super warm but hopefully at least more comfortable than the concrete until I can figure out a longer term solution.

AD992076-3BAA-48F7-9514-569428861E11.jpeg
7727E84E-64B2-4A32-910B-A8424E4FFE5D.jpeg

That will definitely help if you’re laying on the ground at all for any work. I have a strip in between the cars, and laying on that is much better than the bare concrete!!

• Hell Yeah!
So I finally got behind the intake manifold and saw that the PCV valve was super loose. It seemed like it was still in the hose but was disconnected completely from the grommet and the grommet itself came out really easily. I was also able to remove the screen pretty easily with a magnet:
5B688685-3875-42EB-8E36-1342C85C5FAE.jpeg 1479E0C7-3386-44A4-AD81-F47D77E633A1.jpeg

I replaced the screen, grommet, and PCV valve and everything new seemed to fit pretty decently.
41FBB975-C25B-4729-BA32-5D186C6FD3C6.jpeg
It was pretty late when I finished it so I didn’t start the car yet but will do that today and see how the oil leak situation is looking. :) I didn’t take a ton of pics but recorded some of that process for my next video.

On a non Foxbody related note, I took a new GT for a drive a couple of days ago. Will share more detailed thoughts in a Vlog but overall, my impressions were really good. There’s a lot to love about these new Mustangs.
48003124-D394-44F1-90D0-6B35A70D26EA.jpeg
1DD1CFE5-AA4E-4228-BEC0-EFCACF28D713.jpeg

The new Mustangs are really nice. I have to avoid driving one because the want is serious.
That’s why it took me so long to actually test drive one, and also why I’ve avoided test driving Shelby GT350s, GT500s, and the new Mach 1. I already know I want them, so driving them will just confirm and make me want them even more.

If anyone feels like listening to me ramble on in my thoughts on the 2021 GT in more detail, I just finished uploading my latest Vlog:

View: https://youtu.be/7FvdbgQjBJE

Another thing they had at the dealership was this Shelby GT, which is priced at like $90k on the dealer’s website. I will see if the link is still up.
C2D801F1-D0AD-4C16-A612-E6142AFBFA08.jpeg