Finally got rid of air bag code 12!!!!

Dave14

Founding Member
Sep 18, 2002
Calgary, Canada
After driving around for 2 years with my airbag light flashing I finally decided to try and get rid of it. I went to my local Ford dealership and they wanted $200 to fix it! I did a search on this forum and found this link.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html

Im sure alot of you have been there before. I then read up on code 12 and found out that it is caused because of low voltage caused by a blown 10a fuse. I went through all the 10amp fuses in the fuse box under the steering wheel and found that the one closest to the driver door was blown. I replaced it with another 10 amp fuse and checked the codes again. I then got a Code 53. I used the paper clip method to clear the trouble code using the connector under the glove box. i turned the car on again and now was getting code 64. I cleared that trouble code and now there are no codes at all! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hope this helps some of you clear your air bag codes.

• Sponsors (?)

:nice: I had to clear my air bag codes after accidentally pulling the fuse for them while the key was on. It's real simple actually, but a lot of guys are afraid to do it. Glad to hear you fixed it, that light is annoying as crap huh?

CManT1914 said:
:nice: I had to clear my air bag codes after accidentally pulling the fuse for them while the key was on. It's real simple actually, but a lot of guys are afraid to do it. Glad to hear you fixed it, that light is annoying as crap huh?

It was very annoying!! What made it worse was that anytime someone got in my car they woud say "did you know you airbag light is flashing?" :nonono:

Well I hope you solved the problem for good, but if the fuse didnt simply go bad then something is blowing it. I was having the same problem with mine. I would replace the fuse and then a couple days later it would blow again. Turned out there was a short in the airbag module. $250 under warranty.

My airbag code was on for 2 years before I finally did the research on here and the corral to be able to clear it in like 20 seconds!! Very easy fix and I wish I would have done it years ago.