Finally got rid of stock crappy seats!

normster6969

Founding Member
Oct 6, 2000
Huntington Beach, CA
I finally broke down and upgraded my seats to a pair of Recaro Styles. Let me tell you that there is no comparison between the stock slip-n-slide leather seats and the Recaros. I commute 1.5 hours to work each way and the new seats make a huge difference on comfort. Additionally, the Recaros actually support you around corners. The Recaros also lower your seating position by a few inches, keeping your head from hitting the roof!

The seats I got came with power, heating and cooling. Once again, light years above the shoddy stock seats in the '01 stang. Here's what they look like:

recaro-1.jpg

recaro-2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

O.D. Showtime said:
They do look good, still retains the power options too. I'm looking for new seats, how much you pay for them?

Thanks for the compliments...

I bought the seats used on ebay. Picked them both up for $1,300 + $140 shipping. Additionally, I had to buy sliders and brackets for another $350. With the comfort package (power, heating, cooling) and the leather/cloth combo, the seats retail between $1,100 and $1,245 each without the sliders and brackets. If you forgo the comfort package and leather, they are pretty reasonable. If you buy new, check out www.on-trackperformance.com. They have smoking deals...

Norm

MyEarsHurt said:
how much lighter are they than stock seats?

Since I have power on both of these seats, they probably net out. The driver's seat is lighter than the stock power seat. However, the power passenger seat is heavier than the non-power stock seat.

If you want serious weight reduction, then I would go with either an aluminum or carbon fiber racing shell. I bought these primarily for comfort/ergonomics due to my long commute.

normster6969 said:
Since I have power on both of these seats, they probably net out. The driver's seat is lighter than the stock power seat. However, the power passenger seat is heavier than the non-power stock seat.

If you want serious weight reduction, then I would go with either an aluminum or carbon fiber racing shell. I bought these primarily for comfort/ergonomics due to my long commute.

Yeah, I have been looking a few different brands to try and eliminate some weight, mainly sparco and corbeau, just curious on the weight on those cause they look really nice and really comfortable... I am afraid if I try to eliminate weight, I may eliminate comfort, which would be a major :notnice: .

MyEarsHurt said:
Yeah, I have been looking a few different brands to try and eliminate some weight, mainly sparco and corbeau, just curious on the weight on those cause they look really nice and really comfortable... I am afraid if I try to eliminate weight, I may eliminate comfort, which would be a major :notnice: .

Talk to Mark Wilson at www.on-trackperformance.com. He's pretty active on the forums at corner-carvers.com and deals with others that are primarily into racing. He will know the weights and probably relative comfort of all the different brands and seat models.

I would also suggest that you go to some local dealers and sit in the different seats since each brand has a different feel. I immediately ruled out Cobras and Corbeaus from this "hands on" experience due to the physical shape of my body, look & feel, and other personal preferences. Finally, look at the fabrics and padding used, quality of build, and safety certifications (e.g., FIA), etc. I'm sure you will be able to find a relatively light and comfortable seat. Although I like the power, heating, and cooling, they're just "nice to haves" at the end-of-the-day.

Good luck.

Norm