Finally, I was able to start a small project

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
It got decently warm today in Los Angeles, a bit over 70* - just warm enough to paint. So I started up my new project, installing an 01-04 center console. I have a 98 center console, which has the two cup holders, but every time I have drinks there I keep hitting them with the shifter. Major PITA. I found a good deal on a parchment 01 center console back in December, and I've been waiting for a warm day. Yesterday was that day. I already had some Saddle paint from LMR, so with a bit of prep and three coats of rattle can paint I got the following:

center_console_painted.jpg

Not pictured is the vinyl lid, which also got some Saddle vinyl paint today. I need to touch up the black on the metal hinge and I'll be ready to put it all together.

Attachments

• center_console_painted.jpg
    center_console_painted.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Sponsors (?)

Very nice! I did the same swap in my Cobra. I didn't do a very good prep job on the arm rest, though. Some of it's rubbing off. That'll look great once it's installed.

Nice! I've considered this many times (but I don't wanna lose the ashtray [switches]).

Having a big cup holder would be really nice and it's handy to toss portable electronics in the front one.

Installed the center console today. As advertised, it's a direct fit. Since the fog light switch and power port were in different locations, I spliced together a 94-97 harness and bits from the 02-04 harness that came with the center console. Sadly, I only took one photo of the re-wiring - got too caught up in the project I forgot the camera.

center_console_spliced_wiring.jpg

Installation was just like removing the 98 console. The power port is inside the center console now, so I made sure to leave a lot of slack in that part of the harness so I could remove the storage box when the console is installed. I also didn't paint the inside of the one cup holder - you can see the original parchment color there.

center_console_installed.jpg

In case you aren't aware, the 01-04 center console has a vinyl boot over the parking brake handle. The one that came with mine was ripped, so I cut about half of it off and just tucked it in. Still looks better than the rubber insert.

center_console_ebrake.jpg

The paint seems to have come out OK, it's difficult to tell how close of a match the paint is at night. Now, to sell of my old 98 console; I'll probably list it on Craigslist.