Finally raced my cousins Trans Am

crazykid2056

Banned
Apr 27, 2005
I've had my '05 GT for about a month and only have Flowmasters as of right now. Whne I get home form school this summer, plan on modding further.

Well, my cousins '99 Trans Am is auto, free mod's and exhaust. We first raced from a 5mph roll and he walked me pretty bad. I guess he had a car length by the time I shifted to second.

Then on the highway, we nailed it around 80mph. The LS1 just left me. (WTF)? I figured my car should be in the mid 13's!

Anyways, he's cool and going to help me mod the Stang this summer. It sucks though that his Trans Am has 98,000.00 miles, all dented up and stock but still hauls like that.

Sucks :(

• Sponsors (?)

The LS1 is a freeking awesome motor. GM/Chevy got the Mustang there, hands down. The only stock Mustang I know of with a shot at the LS1 is the latest Cobra. Of course, once the Shelby hits the street, the LS1 will be dust. You will definately need some mods to beat your buddy. But then again, you have the new Stang and looks count alot too - no dents, way less than 98k etc.

05Stangster said:
The only stock Mustang I know of with a shot at the LS1 is the latest Cobra.

Mach 1s are close stock and in some instances faster. :shrug: I'd also think that an '05 GT with a Tune/CAI/maybe some Exhaust work/ and good driving would give a close to stock LS1 (Fbod or GTO) a good run for it's money. :flag:

i wouldn't mind a black ws6, badass car.

good race man, sometimes you gotta get beat to get better. you can come to my neck of the woods and whomp my ass any time you need an ego boost.

I found that driving around town, a lot of LS1's give me the challeng rev, or the "revlimiter check in neutral/give me attention/i wanna race cuz my car is faster than you" signal. Stock, I think they'll take an '05 with equal drivers, but after 30 hp in mods like CAI/tune or 3.73 or better gears, it may be a different story.

Okay, I'll allow a grudging respect for any Trans Am built before 1974. Especially a 455 HO.

But by the late 1970s, they were just ridiculous. Sorry, but for me the T/A will never live down its disco roots. It's like the leisure suit in GM's closet.

And before you GM guys start in about the Cobra II, yeah, I know, Farrah Fawcett's ride. Well, we all have skeletons in our closet ... ;)

05Stangster said:
The LS1 is a freeking awesome motor. GM/Chevy got the Mustang there, hands down. The only stock Mustang I know of with a shot at the LS1 is the latest Cobra. Of course, once the Shelby hits the street, the LS1 will be dust. You will definately need some mods to beat your buddy. But then again, you have the new Stang and looks count alot too - no dents, way less than 98k etc.

The 03 cobra will beat an LS1 nearly every time. And the LS1 is about the only good thing about a Trans Am. They are otherwise the gaudiest pieces of crap ever built.

shadowland2000 said:
The 03 cobra will beat an LS1 nearly every time. And the LS1 is about the only good thing about a Trans Am. They are otherwise the gaudiest pieces of crap ever built.

Ill agree...when I met my wife, she had an 01 Z28...

That car was real fast relative to a stock Mustang-

of course the power windows broke about once a month, the T Tops leaked, the disc brakes warped under medium braking, and the radio broke a few times.....lol

Huh, go figure. I had a 2001 WS6 t/a for about a year and a half. Now I have a 05 GT manual. When I got in the GT and started to drive it, I always kind of felt that it would have hung with the T/A in a race. My buddy had a '97 cobra that I raced a few times pretty even.

Then again he used to go to the track every so often and the T/A was my first performance car. So maybe it was just my driving that sicked back then. It probably still sucks now that I think about it.

You'd have a better shot at him from a dead stop because the 05 Stang lanuches pretty well. From a rolling start you loose that advantage.

It's also obvious that Ford needs a Mustang model between the GT and the GT-500 that is >350 HP. Either a 5.4L 3V N/A, a 4.6 4V N/A or a 4.6 3V S/C.