Finally ran the new 347 combo at the track

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
I headed out to englishtown tonight with my buddy Matt. I haven't drag raced at a track in probably 2 years so I was so friggin rusty! I made 3 passes and my best pass was my first one. I went 12.56 @ 115. My launches suck and I shifted into 2nd too soon on this run and when I hit second I felt it slightly bog. I hit a 1.996 60' on that pass which is pretty shiity. 1/8 mile was 8.2 @ 91. My race weight was 3260.

There is so much more in this combo with driving, hooking, proper rear gear and finding out the ideal shift point.

It just sucks that I have to drive into friggin NJ to race :Track: Its so out of the way and i'm not able to go there enough to become consistent with my launching/driving. Oh well, that was my baseline pass.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

The mph is low for the combo but like I said, my launching needs lot of work. I haven't done this in a long time. I was gunning for around 120. I lost a bit of time that pass in my first to second shift. I shifted too soon and the car sorta bogged as it hit second. Between that and a better launch i'd have hit my goal for the night I think.

Chris, I run on nitto drag radials on my pony wheels.

Grady, no i'm not pleased, but at the same time i'm not pissed either. It was nice to get a baseline, but I was hoping for closer to 120 mph. Like I said, my launching and shifting needs work.

Not a bad baseline Mike! Just think, my first shakedown passes with my car resulted in a 13.6 at 103 and you know where I went from there! :D 115 for the first time out, being rusty, not knowing ideal launch and shift points, etc is NOT bad. Good luck!

BTW- how far are you from Cecil County dragway? I'm here right now for a private track rental and this track is FAST. I know E-town is fast but from some I have spoke with they think its quicker here. Its a 4.5hr drive for us, but its worth it IMO for the time capability and track prep here.

Cecil is in maryland right? I'm not sure, but its probably quite a ride from here.

I jus checked out my datalog and I noticed I was running a tad bit too rich. Another big thing killer me (besidfes my launching) was my tiny 3.73's. I believe I was crossing the traps under 6,000 rpm, probably around 5,800. Thats almost 1,000 rpm's lower than where it should be.

I guess its not too bad of a baseline considering all the things that need improving but I was hoping for more.

No vids, sorry. Mentally picture a slow Mustang with a bad driver, thats my run ;)

As for changes, i'm thinking of pulling the heads soon and upgrading to arp head and manifold studs and sending the heads to Ed C for a good valve job.

I'd also like to do 4.30 gears and 31 spline crap in the rear with a better tire.

Michael. You suck and you're a horrible driver. :D

Just kidding man - thats really not bad at all for a street tired car. The car definitely needs more gear but I could see a 3.73 getting you into the 11's with a little more time.

And, Cecil is running about 3-tenths faster than E-town - I just spend the day at Cecil last friday. Verrazano to NJ Turnpike all the way down to 95. From 95 it should be about 25 minutes into MD. It's the first exit in Maryland once you pass the toll both. I think.........

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Michael. You suck and you're a horrible driver. :D

Just kidding man - thats really not bad at all for a street tired car. The car definitely needs more gear but I could see a 3.73 getting you into the 11's with a little more time.

And, Cecil is running about 3-tenths faster than E-town - I just spend the day at Cecil last friday. Verrazano to NJ Turnpike all the way down to 95. From 95 it should be about 25 minutes into MD. It's the first exit in Maryland once you pass the toll both. I think.........

Joe

Yes Joseph, I suck :Zip2: BTW, you going to be visiting Hofstra this year anytime soon?

I think i'm going to skip on the head work and put that money towards doing up my rear. I'm looking @ doing the ford racing 31 spline posi unit, 31 spline axles (brand?) ford racing 4.30 gears and maybe a girdle with a drain plug.

I do plan to pull the heads and swap to arp manifold/head studs and I am also going to have the lower manifold milled to match better. Just gotta figure out exactly how to measure how much I need to mill?

zenboy99 said:
Hey, did you end up talking to Ed about the valve job? I'd be curious to see what he tells you.

Yes, I emailed him that night after you and I spoke through Email. He said a good valve job and bowl work are where my money is best spent. He said I can go crazy but it becomes a lot of money for a little gain. Im not sure what he meant by that but I assume when he said "go crazy" he meant a full port job.

EDIT: He was also talking about milling the heads and a new valve train + assembly and cleaning. Also new valve depending what shape the old ones are in. All said and done, its just WAY too much money. A simple valve job would end up turning into a $1,000 deal. That $1,000 I can spend on FULLY doing my rear.

I think my money overall on my car is best spent doing up the rear end and putting a better tire on it rather than adding more power.