Finally sprayed but more problems

GATOR98GT

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
BRISTOL
Well I setup the nitrous to run off a shifter mounted button , setup the jets for an 80 shot, and made a few runs with my handy G-Tech Pro thing. THe bottle pressure was real low at about 600-650 psi, the timing reatred 3degrees. I know the bottle pressure has to be around 1,000 for optimal performance but I figured I would at least get a feel for it and some gains without going out and getting th ebottle warmer.

I only picked up 2 mph and .15 sec in the 1/4 as opposed to all motor runs. Is the bottle pressure the only culprite for this or could someting else be wrong? What damage did I do to my car last night running it at 600? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Get that temp up.. Spend the money and get a bottle heater, deffinitly should be at least 900psi for a decent run.. I'd say the bottle pressure is what is killing you right now, once you get the pressure up and do another run you'll be able to tell better

i would have to say the bottle temp is the most important thing pressure needs to be higher than 600. set it in the house for a day or so by a heater vent then try it again. as long as you didnt hear any sounds from your car you probably didnt hurt anything. the nitrous shot was probably only about a 40 shot if that.

Keep in mind that the oxygen molecules START to seperate from the nitrogen at 570 degrees so you need to make sure that bottle is warm. I'm not sure what that translates to in terms of psi, but at 600 psi, I'm sure its not 570. :nice:

wiski said:
Keep in mind that the oxygen molecules START to seperate from the nitrogen at 570 degrees so you need to make sure that bottle is warm. I'm not sure what that translates to in terms of psi, but at 600 psi, I'm sure its not 570. :nice:
Fortunatly, the temps in the combustion process reach well over 1300*. :doh:

I have an '87 GT with an AOD and I run the Edelbrock Dry 80 hp kit. I've used it for about 3 seasons now and that bottle pressure definetly is the problem there. 900 - 950 psi has been the best pressure range for my car. With that kit I knocked off around 1.8 seconds off my 1/4 et. between my best non-N02 time and best N02 time.
Damage wise, you shouldn't have done anything. I am not sure how your kit is set up, but with mine, if my bottle pressure is low, the kit is still pumping in the same amount of fuel, but it just isn't getting as much nitrous. So you are just running the motor rich.
Get a bottle heater and try it again. In order to be consistant with nitrous, you will need a heater for sure.

GATOR98GT said:
Well I setup the nitrous to run off a shifter mounted button , setup the jets for an 80 shot, and made a few runs with my handy G-Tech Pro thing. THe bottle pressure was real low at about 600-650 psi, the timing reatred 3degrees. I know the bottle pressure has to be around 1,000 for optimal performance but I figured I would at least get a feel for it and some gains without going out and getting th ebottle warmer.

I only picked up 2 mph and .15 sec in the 1/4 as opposed to all motor runs. Is the bottle pressure the only culprite for this or could someting else be wrong? What damage did I do to my car last night running it at 600? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

OK now I am truly stumped. I warmed the bottle with the bathtub trick, got the pressure up around 1000-1050. Wnet and ran it without the nitrous using my truty g tech and ran a 13.60 @ 110.9. Turned the nitrous on (it is spraying I know for sure) which is setup for an 80 shot and ran it. 13.50 @112.9. ???????? .10 and 2 mph. I know this is wrong so are there any other suggestions? I ran it 3 times and each time it got slower 13.6 + 13.6 111 and 109 respectivly. Only once did I even really feel the nitrous ( which was cool :)) . Any other suggestions as to what is messing up? The timing was retarded 3 degrees, I tested my button and everything, it is spraying nitorus for sure.

I know I need drags r soemthing to get some traction I am not too consirned right now with the et's its the mph thats bothering me, I figured I would pick up between 7-10 mph with the 80 shot.

Please clan your heads together and try and help me figure this one out, I am ready to rip the system out.

So you expect to run 120+mph trap speeds with an 80 shot?? I think that you should be a little more realistic. I would say that .5-.7 seconds off your ET would be about right, but 12.8s don't equate to 120+mph trap speeds. sorry to break it to you. :bang:

I know the gtech is not the most accurate thing in the world but it is a good guesstamate, the 13.43 i ran was at the track so it looks like the gtech is only off a bit, but from run to run for my purposes over the weekend i think it served its purpose. As far as being realistic this is just the info I have gained off of this site and talking to a few people. if 7-10mph is thinking to high then maybe it is but I am assured that 2 mph is way to low.

Realistic gains from an 80 shot of nitrous

First off, this guy is dead on. G-Tech's are quite a bit off from my own experience when you compare those times to a real dragstrip track time.

I believe I mentioned earlier, I have an '87 GT with an AOD, 3.73's gears, flowmaster cat back exhaust, K&N, BF Goodrich Drag Radials and an Edelbrock 80 hp dry nitrous kit.
My best Non-nitrous time at the dragstrip was a 15.229 at 91.48mph
My best nitrous time at the dragstrip was a 13.445 at 100.93 mph
HOWEVER, my best MPH ever was 102.27 at the strip and my best non-nitrous MPH ever was that 91.48, so realistically that 80 shot does do quite a bit and you will for sure feel it.

Rick 91GT said:
A G-tech is not gospel, I would try to get to a local track. I would not expect more then 6-7mph or so from a 80 shot even in good tune.

You have to take into consideration that the difference between 112-120+ and 91-100 are two completely different things. As the ETs decrease the amount of horsepower required increases exponentially, it is not a linear proportionallity. However I think that 4 mph should be a reasonable goal, and getting the pressure up should definately get that accomplished. Have you tried measuring the pressure with the bottle in the car? I would think that it would drop off rapidly once you take it out of the bath tub, depending on how cold it is outside. Also once you run with the bottle, the temp is going to decrease, due to the amount of gas exiting the bottle at such a high velocity.

Well I might sound like an idiot but I have no clue, when I bought the car it was tuned to a T, by a local mechanic with alot of nitrous experience. Before I had the car it ran a 13.089 @ 104 with a 50 shot. I know the plugs were upgraded and the gap is at .35. I dont know exactly what the plugs are but I don't think that is the problem. I am going to try and switch the jets around tonight, just a last resort fix. I was told by a local speed shop that I could possibly have a clogged fuel filter and that could be the problem. not sure how that wouldnt kill the overall performance but I guess its worth a shot.