Engine Finding TDC?

DemonGT

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Sparta,WI
I have a adjustable pointer that i am unsure if its pointing where it should so thought id make sure it was pointing right.

Just wanted verification that i did the process correct.

Turned motor over until on compression stroke of #1
installed piston stop
Turned until piston touched stop, made mark where pointer was pointing
reversed and turned the other way until piston stopped, made mark where pointer was pointing
divided in half to get middle of each mark which "should" be TDC?

Now i make a mark where the half way point is for TDC, turn motor by hand so pointer is pointing at new TDC mark
then loosen and adjust pointer to point at 0?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm a little confused (shouldn't surprise anybody that knows me)

Now i make a mark where the half way point is for TDC, turn motor by hand so pointer is pointing at new TDC mark
You can verify you mark by sticking a small screw driver in the #1 plug hole and (crank the engine by hand with a braker bar) feel the piston move up till it stops and begins to move down, turn the engine back to the top ( piston will stop rising) you can turn the engine back and forth to get the piston at the top of it's stroke, your pointer should be at 0* at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I have a adjustable pointer that i am unsure if its pointing where it should so thought id make sure it was pointing right.

Just wanted verification that i did the process correct.

Turned motor over until on compression stroke of #1
installed piston stop
Turned until piston touched stop, made mark where pointer was pointing
reversed and turned the other way until piston stopped, made mark where pointer was pointing
divided in half to get middle of each mark which "should" be TDC?

it sounds like you got it exactly right.

Reactions: 1 users