Finding Toploader Neutral Position?

Hey Everyone,

I am preparing to install a Hurst shifter on my 4spd Toploader which has been out of a vehicle for some time. I need to make sure all the shifter "ears" are set to neutral before insatlling. Does anyone have a picture of what neutral should look like, or know of a way to set the trans to neutral?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

THe two ears closest to the front have three positions each. Center is neutral. The rear one is two positions-reverse or neutral. Set the front ones to neutral, turn the input shaft. If the output shaft is going in the opposite direction, it's in reverse...

Hey-good luck with the Hurst shifter. See my thread on the linkage problem I had. Some body in the past told me the center ear was neutral-may be some of my problem. If you have a diagram of the linkage setup I'd sure like to see it or a good description. Before I had a rod fall off, the shifting was great-smooth.

Hey-good luck with the Hurst shifter. See my thread on the linkage problem I had. Some body in the past told me the center ear was neutral-may be some of my problem. If you have a diagram of the linkage setup I'd sure like to see it or a good description. Before I had a rod fall off, the shifting was great-smooth.

I have a scan of the linkage if you still need it, but its too big to post. Still installing everything though, not sure how it will shift. I can email it to you directly if you want.

Thanks, In looking into the positions, ears etc, I managed to get some preliminary positive results. I'm going to try a drive today and check out the fix. I'll get back to you if I need that diagram.