First ever 2007 GT500 to be built SOLD @ Barrett-Jackson

• Sponsors (?)

In the end, when a man with experience meets a man with money, the man with out money usually leaves with the money and the man who lost his money is left with the experience. :D

Carol and Edsel were both there auctioning the car off, not bidding on it.

The proceeds went to the Carol Shelby Children’s Fund or something to that effect. As for the high price, think about it for a second. You have the first ever GT500 built on the S197. You have a car signed by both Carol and Edsel, you have a paid trip to SVT headquarters to watch the car being built... I'm sure there was more... You put that package together and add it a bunch of people who pay way to little in taxes and make way too much money, you've got at least one person willing to pay. I'm not sure who got it, and don't want to start a rumor, but my guess would be on Leno. They did not focus on the winner so my guess; it was a phoned in bid.

At the end of the day, as Berserker pointed out, it's still stupid. So was the 2005 Mustang that was modified for the SEMA show and sold for $95,000... It may help the collector cause in 20 years but it's going to hurt those still looking for GT's at MSRP and more so those that were looking at getting a Cobra. I'm settling for a Challenger if/when - it's looking pretty good for an 08 model year, late 07 release.

TJ

"bargain price of $648,000 ($600K final sale + $48K purchase price)..." Interesting they werent bidding on a car, they were bidding on the right to buy the car. Even then they still had to buy the car in addition at 48k???

Mickey21 said:
bargain price of $648,000 ($600K final sale + $48K purchase price)... Interesting they werent bidding on a car, they were bidding on the right to buy the car. Even then they still had to buy the car in addition at 48k???

No, The bid was $600k then EVERy bidder and seller have to pay an 8% "buyers/sellers fee." So the car actually cost the guy $648k. That is a funny thing to notice though.....the buyers fee is larger than MSRP for the car.....:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh:

199 said:

Yeah, sorry for the delayed response 199. I actually watched it live so I guess that makes me the original source of the info (on Stangnet). Good thing you found a secondary source, or I may have looked like a troll given my post count... but news like this would not stay buried long anyway.

It was a big Barrett weekend on speed. I really thought more would be watching given the lineup of classics they had up for auction. The GT500's are firmly past the 1/4 mill mark and I don't think we'll see them fall back for a long time with the S197 Shelby Cobra just around the corner.

If it's true that Ford will lift dealer restriction on SVT vehicles when the GT500 is released, I will try to get one at MSRP, but given what this auction is bound to do to demand, the hype about the car even before, and of course the greed factor of some dealers it's looking pretty grim. Up in the NE we are still dealing with gouging on the GT. On the bright side, I've got no problem parking a Challenger beside my 06 stang. She needs some company anyway, and that car is just plain sexy. :nice:

TJ