First impressions/progress so far

dsmGST91

Jun 13, 2005
Latham NY
Well, I finally got it on the road today. Here is a little history. The car was picked up from a guy that lives about 5 miles from my house. I passed the car about every day going to school for 2 years. At the beginning of June, I really noticed that it was just sitting there rotting in his front yard. So one evening I went up and rang his doorbell. He told me that the car ran, and it was payment someone gave him because they owed him money. He started it up and I checked it out. Went home that night and thought about it, and showed up the next day with 3,000 cash. He accepted, and I drove it home.

The thing was a mess. I gave it a good wash and scrubbed off 3 years of grime that a car collects from being outside. First thing I did was strip the interior. I got new carpet, re-dyed the dash, and had the seats re-stuffed and recovered. Then, I bought headers and a full exhaust. Then moved onto the exterior, where I buffed it multiple times, although the paintjob on there now is crap. Anyways, that brings it to tonight. I spent a couple hours at DMV today, got it registered.

First impressions....took it out, and right away could see taht the car is all over the road. Having never owned an old car, or even driven anything besides my babied TR6, I'm not used to this. Either way, going stright down a road, the car is bobbing up and down, and left and right. Its like a boat. Power is decent, torque is amazing. I daily drive a 1991 Eclipse turbo, so torque is something im not used to :hail2:

Oh well, I've had alot of fun so far. Next week its going off for paint, I'm ordering magnum 500's, and then this winter will come a 351c swap. If you have any comments about the ride, let me know, as I'm curious to see if this is normal or not. Thanks!

best.jpg

Attachments

• best.jpg
    best.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

Bobbing up and down could be the shocks. Swaying side to side could be loose/worn front wheel bearing from sitting so long. Mine started going side to side when hitting uneven pavement on the freeway. It was the front wheel bearing that needed repacking and tightened.

BTW, looks nice.

Jack up the front of the car and let the suspension hang. Then have a friend turn the wheel. Look for slop anywhere. Easy to check wheel bearings at the same time. I believe the shop manual calls for about 12 lbs/ft on the spindle nut while rotating the wheel so no slop should be felt. Be sure to use jackstands on the frame, too!

If it were me (and it will be me fairly soon); I'd hold off on the pretty paint and Magnum 500's. Unless she has some serious rod knock and/or she's burning more oil than a moquito fogger; I'd even forego the Cleveland (for now :D ). Better to look at the sloppy suspension/steering really soon; before that thundering 351 provides the motivating force for the "Midnight Black with purple metalflakes" to be ground into the side of a freeway overpass. :eek:

Of course , I'm not one to talk. I'm the guy who finished off his F100's "Killer 406 transplant" by installing the cheapest brake shoes and shocks that I could find at Checker Auto Parts and then I installed a rag-joint (steering box to column coupler) that I got for free at a junkyard. :rolleyes:

Absolutely no clue how I survived to become a cautious "old man". :shrug:

My friends dad is going to check it out on saturday, see if its bad. Honestly, I drove it around a little last night, and its not as bad as I thought. Actully not bad at all. Its just a big, wallowing ride.

new shocks

made a HUGE difference in my ride.................and it seems that as you drive it more you will learn it's personality :nice:

i also still have a little problem with getting the feel of driving a rear wheel car, it is still a little scary on tight interstate ramps and the like......where giving it gas is better than letting off.........

on the other hand....it is not fun, well maybe it is if there are no other cars around, :rlaugh: to put your foot into it, when making a turn form a stopsign with freshly wet roads :doh: